Guilty Pleasure by Mia Dimšić | Teen Ink

Guilty Pleasure by Mia Dimšić

By Afra ELITE, Kandy, Other
Afra ELITE, Kandy, Other

"A writer must never be short of ideas."
-Gabriel Agreste- (Fictional character- Miraculous)

Mia Dimšić is a fantabulous Croatian singer and songwriter. What is she famous for, you ask? She grew popular with her song, 'Guilty Pleasure' which won Dora 2022 and got placed 11th in the Eurovision Song Contest 2022, while showing off her amazing guitar skills and unique voice. 

Since she was 16, she started playing the guitar and singing songs as a hobby. She played the Croatian National Instrument called 'Tambura' in an orchestra. Soon, she made an acoustic duo with her best friend and they started performing locally. When she was in college, she attended a birthday party and started singing and playing the guitar just for fun, catching the attention of a member of a famous local band. 

Gradually, she was on a real tour in the following summer, with no experience at all and not even one original song out, because there were no other female singers and the band member suggested her to go with his band.  That is where she met her manager Damir, who also co-wrote and produced her biggest song 'Guilty Pleasure', which peaked number 1 in Croatia's HR Top 40. 

The song tells a story of the awkward feeling of a secret temptation; the one where a person longs for another person who they can't be with because she’s in another committed relationship. The song is a bit of a love triangle story and it's about guilt because the person who is in a relationship can’t stop fantasizing about another person. Many people have been in somewhat a similar situation at one point or another in their life and in Mia's case, it found its way into a song. 

The song was released on the 10th of February, 2022 and Mia was widely accused in social media for plagiarising Taylor Swift's 'Willow'. But, she denied the accusations and acknowledged the comparisons as admiration because she was a great fan of Taylor Swift and she was her inspiration. 

But according to my opinion, the lyrics in 'Willow' and 'Guilty Pleasure' are absolutely different. And the music does not sound that similar like how they talk about in social media. 'Guilty Pleasure' does give out its own vibe and it does sound unique. As a person who listened both 'Willow' and 'Guilty Pleasure',  I didn't get the vibes of 'Willow' in 'Guilty Pleasure' and vice-versa, like how they talked about in social media. Both the songs are each unique in their own way and I like the fact that 'Guilty Pleasure' is a 'Swifty' song, that has a pretty echo of Taylor Swift. 

The theory is that 'Guilty Pleasure' is a song about something some people go through in their life. They have the guilt of thinking about another person and also, they have a situation like so, in which they have to make up their mind, and in that case, the lyrics are so relatable. Not to forget, the hook at the end of the chorus is extremely dreamy. The most exciting part of this song is that, Mia also released a Croatian version of it named 'Nekto Drugi' and it is as excellent as the English version. 

Through the song, we could all see that Mia has the whimsical as well as the romantic music skills. Not only the gentle tone of the song but also the sweetness in her voice, softens the message in the song and delivers it to the core. The folksiness of the song brings out Mia's talent even more. 

Her fans are always on the waiting list for a new song that could outshine even more than 'Guilty Pleasure' itself. I rate 'Guilty Pleasure' 5 out of 5 stars and recommend you listen to this impressive singer!

Ever since I discovered Mia Dimšić through the Eurovision Song Contest, I began listening to her. Most of her songs are Croatian but they simply give out the emotions. Her English songs 'Pieces of the Puzzle' and 'Guilty Pleasure' are worth listening!

Afra ELITE said...
Afra ELITE, Kandy, Other

@PowerPaws, thank you...🌸🌸🌸

Marian_de_Silva GOLD, Gampaha, Other

“If this year has taught me anything, it's that grief can destroy a person.”

“Have no fear of perfection, you'll never reach it.”

"Don't assume the answer is no before you ask the question."

Woah! Great Job!! @Afra 👏