Insomniatic by Aly and AJ | Teen Ink

Insomniatic by Aly and AJ

By TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida
TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida

"I feel that a hero is somebody who will stand up for their values and what they believe in and that can take any form. People that have values and have thought them through rather than those who just do what they’re told."-Skandar Keynes

"When it’

Insomniatic: A state of mind where one becomes addicted to the deprivation of sleep caused by an epic revelation of joy.

Aly and Aj's sound has changed greatly since "Into the Rush". They have amped up their guitars, toned down the majority of their sweet ballads and lost their messages almost entirely. Thankfully, the album is still worth listening to:

"Potential Break-up Song", "Bullseye" and "Like It or Leave It" are the three songs in which the major changes have occurred. While their songs *"Something More", *"Out of the Blue" and *"In A Second" are simply sweet love songs, the three before mentioned are now hardcore and arrogant:

"Potential Break-Up Song": You can try, you can try/you know I know it'd be a lie/without me, you're gonna die

"Bullseye":Everybody's trying to get to me/every guy is all for the kill/I'm the type of girl worth pursuing/but I won't be caught standing still/I won't/you're blowing all of your attention on me/take your best shot/I bet you'll miss

"Like It or Leave It": I can't help but feel like I'm one/one in a million/I'm worth all the crap/that I'm putting you through

While these three songs leave you wondering what exactly is on the minds of these two young ladies, they redeem themselves with their other many tracks:

"Like Whoa" is a song about the feeling you get when you fall in love. It's fun and upbeat, and quite danceable.

Their songs "Silence", "If I Could Have You Back" and "Flattery" are songs I enjoy hearing on mainly lovey-dovey type albums. They are songs about reconciliation in a broken relationship, learning that staying true to yourself is better than changing yourself for a guy and forgiving past mistakes. These themes do not often appear in music today and these songs are what keep Aly and AJ on my favorites list.

"I'm Here" is a song that could be about family, friends or a significant other. It's a song that is saying, no matter what, "I'm Here" for you.

"Closure", "Division" and "Insomniatic" are three songs that can give an either positive message or negative message. I believe "Closure" gives a positive message of moving on after a broken relationship and when you feel like falling for that guy again, remembering what he did before following your feelings, which can easily deceive. "Division" on the other hand in my opinion leans a little more to the negative. The songs talks about breaking-up and celebrating that you're no longer together. It a little bit of a sarcastic song, telling the guy that wanted out of the relationship, "Congrats! You got what you wanted and now you're free. But you don't get me." I personally like it, but many people may find the song a little overboard. And "Insomniatic" is a song about being so "love drunk" that you aren't able to sleep. I believe this is the most uniquely written track on the entire album.

The song that stands out the most to me is not even featured on many albums: "Blush". At first glance, "Blush" is a song talking about having sex. I was appalled when I first heard the song, since Aly and AJ are self-proclaimed Christians; but if you dig deeper, it's actually a song about abstinence. The song is beautifully written, although it may take a few listens to actually appreciate the beauty, about waiting until marriage to "give it away".

The album also has a remix of "Chemicals React".

The album is a definite hit, although many of the songs may not be appreciated after the first listen.

"Silence" is my fave song on the album!! Lemme know yours! :)

TheJust ELITE said...
TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida

"When it’

*from "Into The Rush"....I forgot to put that at the end :/

TheJust ELITE said...
TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida

"When it’

Thank you!! :)

ELM522 DIAMOND said...
ELM522 DIAMOND, Selden, New York

"All those other girls, well they're beautiful, but would they write a song for you?"-"Hey Stephen" by Taylor Swift

It's very unique from the majority of reviews I read on this site because you analyze each song, but I sometimes get bored of uniform reviews, so thank you!