The Other Side of Down by David Archuleta | Teen Ink

The Other Side of Down by David Archuleta

October 6, 2010
By Palrice8 PLATINUM, Lynn, Massachusetts
Palrice8 PLATINUM, Lynn, Massachusetts
48 articles 4 photos 37 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Face the downs and be grateful for the ups." - David Archuleta


It was back in September 2009, just days after his wisdom teeth removal, when David Archuleta headed to Nashville to start the writing process for his second pop album. Now, over a year later, the new music has finally been released. David's new album, titled The Other Side of Down, in which he co-wrote 10 of the 12 tracks, came out on October 5th, 2010. For most artists, the second album is the most crucial. Either a big step forward, or a big step backward in a singer's career. In my opinion, David's taking a big step forward all the way to the other side of down.

Just by looking at the CD cover, you can tell David went a completely different direction with this album. Going from almost a death glare on his face, to a smiling David leaning back on a chair, it’s pretty obvious that this album fits his personality better. He has said that he wanted this album to introduce people to David Archuleta, and I think he did just that.

The fun, quirky "Elevator" and the deep ballad "My Kind Of Perfect" are only two examples of how this album is more "David". "Elevator" was apparently written in 30 minutes, and is about a dream David had, where he didn‘t know which floor to get off on. Though many different opinions flew around about this song, I'd have to agree with the ones who gave it a thumbs up. Even if the song is very simple, there's still so much hidden meaning to it. It’s not necessarily about elevators going up and down, it’s about life. How it’s an endless ride and things are always changing. A dream become reality, and it’s a creative song when you really pay attention to what David’s really saying.
"My Kind Of Perfect" is a cute ballad, which David described to be about his future "perfect". David's sensitive and soothing voice will just captivate in this song, and the piano just adds to the adorableness.

In other tracks, such as "The Other Side Of Down" and "Who I Am", David talks about himself, and all of his doubts and concerns with life. Though a complicated title, "The Other Side Of Down" is a really meaningful song when you understand it. Basically what he's saying is that he needs to stop worrying in order to get to the other side of down, which is up, which is another way of saying he needs to think of the positive side. It's almost grammatically incorrect, like his old single "A Little Too Not Over You", yet it really makes you think.
For "Who I Am", David explained that on his way to that day's writing session, he got stuck in a cab for 2 hours, which gave him time to get his creative juices flowing. "Been two hours in a taxi cab, I'm just driving around and I'm running a tab, But it doesn't really matter, no I'm not getting mad, It's ok cause I know where I'm going". This is one of the realest songs on the album, where he's just trying to figure out who he really is as a person and as an artist.

Then there's the more inspirational tracks, like "Complain" and "Things Are Gonna Get Better". "Complain" is one of the two (the other being the ballad “Falling Stars", written by two of the writers who wrote David‘s hit “Crush”) that David didn't pen, but it definitely sounds like David could have written it. The song talks about how even if you don't think things are going too well, you still can't complain, because look at all you that have. David has said those exact words numerous times, and now it's been put into song.
"Things Are Gonna Get Better", the most inspirational song on the album in my opinion, has a gospel feel to it, and in it David mentions numerous situations that everyone is in at some point in their life. Feeling hurt, making mistakes, losing a loved one, etc. But the most important thing is that you need to move on, because, according to the song, things will get better. Though it may not always be easy to believe, I think the song really makes you think about your life and the way you may be looking at it. For the time you're listening, it really makes you want to keep thinking "things ARE gonna get better".

Other popular tracks on the album are "Parachutes And Airplanes" and "Stomping The Roses", two very well written songs. "Parachutes And Airplanes" (my personal favorite) is a song that really makes you wonder, with it's playful beat and random lyrics. "Thinking about parachutes and airplanes". Just take a second and think about parachutes and airplanes... Does it make you happy? It makes me happy. If it didn't make you happy then you should listen to the song, because it's one of the most creative, uplifting songs on the album that really makes you think.
"Stomping The Roses", written by Bryce Avery, then touched up by David himself, is a fun and catchy, yet very realistic song. It talks about someone in your life who just continuously hurts you, therefore, they're stomping the roses. It's very relatable, especially the line "One of those complicated soap operas, I almost felt like I was watching myself", at least to me anyway.

So all in all, if you add in "Good Place", the song written about David's career, and the upbeat “Look Around”, about how you should always look around and realize everything you have in life, David's new album really shows you the way David looks at life, with fun, motivating, and different songs. This is something David’s first album didn’t quite accomplish, but I think he’s in for major success with this one.


The author's comments:
I wrote this to let people know what this album, not only did for me, but can do for everyone else. Hopefully people will buy the album and enjoy it, and maybe it'll touch them in some way like it did for me.

Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 23 comments.


on Jun. 29 2011 at 5:08 pm
Alice_in_Wonderland GOLD, San Clemente, California
16 articles 0 photos 620 comments

Favorite Quote:
“I could give up, I could stay stuck, or I could move on, So I put one foot front of the other, No no no nothing’s gonna break my stride, “ –David Archuleta (The Other Side of Down)

That's so cool! You have met a lot of celebrities! That is awesome! :)

on Jun. 29 2011 at 1:25 pm
Palrice8 PLATINUM, Lynn, Massachusetts
48 articles 4 photos 37 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Face the downs and be grateful for the ups." - David Archuleta

David's a sweetheat lol. The first time was really quick because he was in a hurry but the second was an actual meet&greet and we didn't talk much because I was soooo nervous LOL But he's really sweet and he's so funny lol. And yeah I've met David Cook twice, Brooke White, Kristy Lee Cook, Carly Smithson, Ramiele Malubay, Jason Castro, Michael Johns and Syesha Mercado :) And really? That's so cool! :D

on Jun. 28 2011 at 6:33 pm
Alice_in_Wonderland GOLD, San Clemente, California
16 articles 0 photos 620 comments

Favorite Quote:
“I could give up, I could stay stuck, or I could move on, So I put one foot front of the other, No no no nothing’s gonna break my stride, “ –David Archuleta (The Other Side of Down)

OMG! No way!!! That is sooooo awesome! What was he like? Did you talk to him? Have you met any other celebs? I haven't but I saw Ryan Sheckler at the beach once with his camera crew when he was filming his reality show! Totally cool!:)

on Jun. 28 2011 at 12:16 am
Palrice8 PLATINUM, Lynn, Massachusetts
48 articles 4 photos 37 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Face the downs and be grateful for the ups." - David Archuleta

Yup I've met him twice :) haha I met him during the American Idol tour in 08 and then met him and got a picture with him during his fall tour in 09 :)

on Jun. 27 2011 at 10:58 pm
Alice_in_Wonderland GOLD, San Clemente, California
16 articles 0 photos 620 comments

Favorite Quote:
“I could give up, I could stay stuck, or I could move on, So I put one foot front of the other, No no no nothing’s gonna break my stride, “ –David Archuleta (The Other Side of Down)

You met him? No way.... Are you serious? Did you take the photo of him? Where did you meet him?

on Jun. 27 2011 at 6:19 pm
Palrice8 PLATINUM, Lynn, Massachusetts
48 articles 4 photos 37 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Face the downs and be grateful for the ups." - David Archuleta

Thank you! haha It's my pen name, and my pic is from one of the times I met David :)

on Jun. 27 2011 at 5:31 pm
Alice_in_Wonderland GOLD, San Clemente, California
16 articles 0 photos 620 comments

Favorite Quote:
“I could give up, I could stay stuck, or I could move on, So I put one foot front of the other, No no no nothing’s gonna break my stride, “ –David Archuleta (The Other Side of Down)

Awesome!! BTW love your username and profile/avatar photo! :)

on Jun. 26 2011 at 11:15 pm
Palrice8 PLATINUM, Lynn, Massachusetts
48 articles 4 photos 37 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Face the downs and be grateful for the ups." - David Archuleta

I completely agree :)

on Jun. 26 2011 at 7:02 pm
Alice_in_Wonderland GOLD, San Clemente, California
16 articles 0 photos 620 comments

Favorite Quote:
“I could give up, I could stay stuck, or I could move on, So I put one foot front of the other, No no no nothing’s gonna break my stride, “ –David Archuleta (The Other Side of Down)

Totally! It is great when people are true to who they really are and don't pretend to be something that they aren't!! His lyrics are about real life that people can actually relate to! More musicians should be like that! :)

on Jun. 14 2011 at 8:34 pm
Palrice8 PLATINUM, Lynn, Massachusetts
48 articles 4 photos 37 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Face the downs and be grateful for the ups." - David Archuleta

Honestly I love all of his songs lol. And exactly! I love how with this album his goal was to be himself and also help people stay positive about things. Definitely better than most music today :)

on Jun. 14 2011 at 8:04 pm
Alice_in_Wonderland GOLD, San Clemente, California
16 articles 0 photos 620 comments

Favorite Quote:
“I could give up, I could stay stuck, or I could move on, So I put one foot front of the other, No no no nothing’s gonna break my stride, “ –David Archuleta (The Other Side of Down)

You are welcome and thanks! My favorites are Something 'Bout Love, Crush, Zero Gravity,Thousand Miles,The Other Side of Down, Who I am, and My Kind of Perfect. I like most of his songs that I listen to though. He is a really good singer and I like that his songs are about real things that people can relate to and not about the typical things that songs are about like parties and getting drunk. He is definitely not like other celebrities. :)

on Jun. 14 2011 at 5:17 pm
Palrice8 PLATINUM, Lynn, Massachusetts
48 articles 4 photos 37 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Face the downs and be grateful for the ups." - David Archuleta

Thank you! And I'd love to read it! I'll be on the look out for it! And I have a few favorites: "Parachutes and Airplanes", "You Can", "The Other Side of Down", "Elevator", "Touch My Hand" haha What's your favorite?

on Jun. 14 2011 at 5:03 pm
Alice_in_Wonderland GOLD, San Clemente, California
16 articles 0 photos 620 comments

Favorite Quote:
“I could give up, I could stay stuck, or I could move on, So I put one foot front of the other, No no no nothing’s gonna break my stride, “ –David Archuleta (The Other Side of Down)

Great review and I agree, it is a really good cd. I also wrote a review for this cd too but it isn't on the website yet but I would love it if you would check it out when it gets approved.( It is much shorter than yours.) What is your absolute favorite song by David Archuleta ( not just on this album)? Again, great job on the review! I liked it! :)

Music378668 said...
on Nov. 5 2010 at 3:19 pm
Music378668, Enterprise, Utah
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
Everyone else laughs at your problems. Why shouldn't you?

I LOVE this album. It's my favorite CD by far. It's just plain good & uplifting.

angel50 said...
on Nov. 4 2010 at 2:56 pm
I appreciate that you actually listened to each of these gems on David's fantastic new album! I am getting many compliments when people hear me jammin' to it! Seems others are starting to "get-the-Archuleta and his musical genius. GREAT news!

on Nov. 4 2010 at 6:19 am
Such a great review! I love David's new CD...listen to it all the time! David stayed true to himself, and "The Other Side of Down" is the wonderful result!

on Nov. 4 2010 at 1:19 am
Palrice8 PLATINUM, Lynn, Massachusetts
48 articles 4 photos 37 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Face the downs and be grateful for the ups." - David Archuleta

Thanks guys! I definitely did listen to the CD and I do get David and his music. And I agree that everyone should get this album, it's really amazing.

lessha said...
on Nov. 4 2010 at 12:35 am
Thank you for such a great review.  It's obvious that you get David.  The Other Side of Down is such a great up lifting CD.  Eveyone needs to have one.  Every time I listen to it I am in such a good mood. 

gemzone said...
on Nov. 4 2010 at 12:22 am
Wow you are an amazing writer!  I love how you knew about every song.  I have to agree with you.  This album is David all the way.  Everyone needs to go out and buy this album!  We all need positive messages in our lives and David delivers them with this album.

jeaniut said...
on Nov. 3 2010 at 11:54 pm

What a great review.  I can tell you actually listened to the CD. 

You're a very talented writer.