Goodbye Lullaby by Avril Lavigne | Teen Ink

Goodbye Lullaby by Avril Lavigne

June 16, 2011
By Saffron_tides GOLD, Dubai, Other
Saffron_tides GOLD, Dubai, Other
14 articles 0 photos 54 comments

Favorite Quote:
My candle burns on both ends,
It will not last the night;
But Ah! my foes and Oh! my friends it gives a lovely light.


‘And I just wanted you to know
I don’t wanna look back
Cause I know that we have
Something the past could never change.
And I’m stuck in the moment
And my heart is open
Tell me that you feel the same’
Hearing her never-changing voice trickle through the stereo into my ears, I wonder if this album was worth the 4-year wait. It is. Starting the album with the brief ‘Black Star’ I was reminded of why I fell in love with her in the first place. I grew up with Avril Lavigne through her ‘Freak Out’ tantrums, her endless ‘He Wasn’t’ boyfriends and her ‘Sk8r Boi’ whirlwind romances. The ‘Black Star’ makes us believe ourselves for who we are and not for what anyone else wants us to be. Through brevity, Avril also appeals to us to believe in who she really is and not compare her with any of her contemporaries. We love Avril because she always takes us by surprise. Her first single from this album ‘What the Hell’ which ruled the charts worldwide, couldn’t be a bigger contrast to the rest of the album.
It’s official guys. Avril Lavigne has grown up. At 26, her still elfin features on the album cover might fool you but you are store for a more mature, upfront Avril Lavigne. Every single song is well thought out, written with care and sung on the best beats. ‘Darlin’ my personal favourite reminds us that she has truly gone through it all. From travelling in a tour bus since she was 16 to writing award-winning songs in hotel lobbies, Avril has made her mark.
‘4Real’, ‘I love you’ and the title track ‘Goodbye Lullaby’ show Avril’s tonal range. After all the girl can really sing. ‘Push’ and ‘Smile’ are a brush of memories any girl is a part of when in a relationship. For all those fans who miss the pink/green/blue haired, guitar-strumming, glass-breaking Avril, there may still be a treat for you. Certain extended edition albums have Avril recreating Joan Jett’s immortal song ‘Bad Reputation’ in a more high-pitched voice and with great bass.
Goodbye Lullaby is an album to buy because these songs aren’t getting old anytime soon. From my first album ever ‘Under My Skin’ to her latest one now, I’m proud to say Avril Lavigne has lived up to my expectations.
So in her words,
‘There's nothing you could say
Nothing you could do
There's no other way when it comes to the truth
So keep holding on
'Cause you know we'll make it through, we'll make it through’
Heads up everyone! It’s Avril Lavigne time!