Sarah McLachlan - Surfacing | Teen Ink

Sarah McLachlan - Surfacing

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York

“What created you a monster?”-Surfacing

“Will we burn in heaven, like we do down here? Will a change come while we're
waiting?” “Witness”
Sarah McLachlan's.
This quote is from a song off of Sarah McLachlan's CD Surfacing, was released in 1997 and most say it's her best CD released to date. Overall, the CD's really good for a more-modern female singer.

Sarah mainly sings her songs from the bottom of her heart and she gets her point across. She writes about love. She often drops hints of the person that she is by the way that she leaks her little secrets about her life, her past, and what's to come of the future. Her CD is very calming and peaceful in stressful situations. Her voice is haunting in a way that's valuable to a person's knowledge, it makes you remember who she is. Though, hip-hop and rap fans won't like her music or how she writes it, though they may enjoy the lyrics, though not likely. Little kids should not listen to this due to profanity and her eerie voice may alarm them if they aren't used to it.

Her song, “Witness,” is about changing the world. Her lyrics are really good and she defiantly gets her point across. Unfortunately it's one of the less known songs that she's done. Though, her vocals and the background music collide to make a wonderful track on the CD. This song is probably one of the best that she's ever written out of her 20years of songwriting.

The second song on the album, “Sweet Surrender,” is one of her more-known songs. Too bad it's one of her worst songs on the CD. She uses a synthesizer to mix the song around, when her voice is so good already. “Sweet surrender is all that I have to give,” she says in her chorus. She uses word choice that makes her sound like she wants to let go of her life and love.

“You live in a church, where you sleep with voodoo dolls and you won't give up the search, for the ghosts in the halls,” Sarah says in verse 2 of her first song on her CD, “Building a Mystery.” She uses a strong voice, but her background music and voice is faint. It's a song that sock-rock fans would like, due to the lyrics about her love having vampire-like symptoms.

Her main purpose of writing and compacting the songs in the CD is to explain herself and to talk about love. The CD is incredibly good and it's relaxing. I would recommend this to people that don't mind disturbing lyrics, calming lyrics, and a need for change. On a scale of one to five, I'd defiantly give this CD a 5.