Homemade Worship by Handmade People by Rend Collective Experiment | Teen Ink

Homemade Worship by Handmade People by Rend Collective Experiment

March 7, 2012
By TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida
TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida
254 articles 202 photos 945 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I feel that a hero is somebody who will stand up for their values and what they believe in and that can take any form. People that have values and have thought them through rather than those who just do what they’re told."-Skandar Keynes

"When it’


Homemade Worship by Handmade People is a splendid name for Rend Collective Experiment's newest album. I listened to this album over and over again, struggling to find words to describe it. Then, it hit me: I was trying to describe the unique sound of the songs, instead of the way they're heard; the feel of them.

As I listened more intently, I realized that I wasn't listening to an album. I was, instead, sitting in my living room with a group of friends; some playing guitar, others singing and others listening. The simplistic feel was what I couldn't wrap my head around; the feeling of hanging out with friends, playing music. This homey feeling is to be expected; not just from the hint the title gives, but also from the fact that the RCE recorded the majority of this album in Gareth and Ally Gilkeson's home.

“Things that are homemade demand so much more time and love than something made from a factory, yet they are always worth it; the quality and uniqueness [sic] are what is beautiful,” explains RCE band leader, Gareth. And quality and originality is what you will find on this album.

The album is different not only in sound, but also lyrically. While most Christian songs focus on the negative, asking God to free them of their problems, RCE, on the other hand, decides to focus on praising God in the midst of troubles. Instead of asking to be relieved from their problems, they ask for God to mold them and shape into what He wants them to be. This is refreshing.

Overall, Homemade Worship uplifts and delights.