The Fox by Ylvis | Teen Ink

The Fox by Ylvis

September 8, 2013
By BrittyMS DIAMOND, Fort Wayne, Indiana
BrittyMS DIAMOND, Fort Wayne, Indiana
51 articles 9 photos 10 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Every time I make a plan, God laughs at me." - Jason Issacs


"The Fox" is the latest release from Ylvis. The track, which has gone viral since it’s release this month, is about one of life’s apparent greatest mysteries: what sound do foxes make?

I kid you not.

You click the play button, and you are initially met with what looks like the start of a bad Miley Cyrus music video. The quality is great, and it looks like it could be a good watch. Then, you are met with the face of a gorgeous man. Instant bonus. You’re just waiting for him to open his mouth and to hear a voice that has no choice but to be beautiful simply because of the beautiful face that owns it. And you are (probably) not disappointed. Until, that is, the first line registers in your head.

Dog goes woof.

At this point, you may be thinking, “I’m sorry, what?”

But you are not mistaken. The whole first verse is informing the audience of what noises different animals make, from cats to cows to fish and frogs. Also, they teach us that elephants say “toot” (the more you know).

I began to wonder if this was another thing like the Wiggles, or the Imagination movers. For those of you who don’t have small children running around your house all the time, those are music groups aimed at early-age kids to educate them in fun ways on morals and junk like that. But why would it be viral then? And why did the music video look so serious? What in the world was going on?

And then the chorus hit. Let me tell you, I have never in my life been so confused, amused, pleased, and frightened at the same time. I actually froze and then collapsed in laughter immediately. That is when I realized that I am not dealing with a kid-friendly musician, I am dealing with the Norwegian equivalent to The Lonely Island.

To make this ridiculously intriguing video even better, Ylvis is not simply just one attractive male, but TWO attractive brothers, Bård Ylvisåker and Vegard Ylvisåker. And they both have real, impressive talent that makes the music actually enjoyable to listen to and not something watched merely because it’s a good laugh. They also have their own talk show, I kveld med Ylvis (In English, that’s Tonight with Ylvis).

Musically, “The Fox” keeps up with today’s Top 40 music in quality, and although lyrically it doesn’t hold a candle, the chorus is hilarious enough to pull it off.

Seriously, the thing that makes it the gem it is, is the chorus. There are no words to describe it.

"The Fox" isn’t the brothers’ only song though. Another song I found to be quite entertaining is "Stonehenge," in which the brothers ask another question, this time "what’s the deal with Stonehenge?"

Ylvis. Forever voicing the questions we all ask.