We the Kings | Teen Ink

We the Kings

By Bethany Ao BRONZE, Wilmington, North Carolina
Bethany Ao BRONZE, Wilmington, North Carolina

We the Kings

It seems that over the past half-century, we have created a list of requirements for wannabe rockstars to meet before they can be truly branded as a gift to the music industry. They must have awesome guitar riffs that can impress even the Rolling Stones, their songs have to energizing and able to set the ¡®dancing¡¯ mood for a party, and they have GOT to have great hair. To find a band that can complete all three, you have to constantly be on the guard for any new bands rising to the surface.

I have seen my share of ¡®underdog¡¯ bands who were suddenly were launched to fame because of one song that grasped the hearts of die-hard rock fans all across the nation. Boys Like Girls is a great example; no one really knew who they were until their hit; ¡®The Great Escape¡¯ was released. And now, they completely dominate the alternative music scene.

Just a week ago, I was listening to the radio on the way home from school, and a new song came on that caught my ear. The song was very upbeat and fast, definitely standard rock/indie, but the person who was singing it had a smooth voice and the song sounded unique compared to the usual dry, screaming rock songs produced from ¡®eh¡¯ bands.

I found out later that that song I had heard was called ¡®Check Yes Juliet¡¯, and was performed by a band named We the Kings. This band consists of four members; Travis Clark (lead vocals and guitar), Hunter Thomsen (guitar and backup vocals), Drew Thomsen (bass), and Danny Duncan (drums). ¡®Check Yes Juliet¡¯ is from their debut album, but We the Kings have already had their share of touring; having toured around the country with bands like Metro Station and All Time Low.

The band is classified as indie, but I think that they resemble rock music more. Either way, their songs are sweet, and that has earned them a lot of fans lately. Besides having terrific music, We the Kings also have a penchant for playing pranks on other bands/people. Ah¡¦ how cool is that? A band that can sing and perform, but also with a sense of humor!

One of the pranks played by We the Kings that made me crack up was when they dressed up in child-size ninja suits and ran through a CVS pharmacy, wearing masks and yelling at the top of their lungs. Policemen arrived at the scene because the store managers thought a bomb had been set off, but it was really just a stink bomb that Danny Duncan had set off in the store that had sounded like a real bomb. They were charged with ¡®wearing a mask in public¡¯ but ultimately got off with no punishment and just a round of laughs from the jury.

I think this band on the rise has a lot of potential, and I highly encourage you to check out their new album, now in stores! You won¡¯t regret it!

And did I mention that Travis has AMAZING hair?

I love We the Kings! I saw them live over the summer on Warped. And yeah, Travis does have really awesome hair... x]