Rivals by Coal Chamber | Teen Ink

Rivals by Coal Chamber

May 23, 2015
By theheavymetalist ELITE, Winter Haven, Florida
theheavymetalist ELITE, Winter Haven, Florida
247 articles 0 photos 57 comments

Favorite Quote:
Take me As I Am - James Labrie of Dream Theater


After 13 years, this classic nu metal band is now giving you punch to the face and exclaiming just that. If you don't know, Coal Chamber is part if the alternative/nu metal wave of the mid 90s, have released four albums in the 90s and early 2000s and then disappeared to another project called Devil Driver which consisted of more of a groove metal sound. When compared to the likes of other first wave nu metal bands like Korn, Limp Bizkit and Slipknot, I would have to say they're the unsung heroes of the era.
Since Devil Driver, this album redefines the classic Coal Chamber sound with some of the attitude from that band going into this album. It isn't all that hard to tell either with the very heavy, almost modern groove metal riffs that can be heard in tracks like The Bridges You Burn and the title track. This album also might have the potential of reviving the nu metal genre as well because Metalcore and Deathcore are taking over too highly and nu metal was at a big decline by then. The bassline is very audible this time around just like the days of old. This may not be your grandfather`s Korn or classic Coal Chamber but you have to take into consideration that this is now more groove nu metal in a sense thus building upon their old stuff. It may,not be as good as other comebacks like Triptychan, Carcass or Arcturus but they made a big step and it worked well. I got to hand it to them. The Devil Driver and Coal Chamber combination is just a great way to come back.
I give it an 8/10 due to combinations of the two projects but also for some unneeded repetition and it just being nu metal. But it is easily one of the better nu metal releases I've heard yet. I am the Grim Reaper, signing off.


The author's comments:

In the spirit of Coal Chamber, I decided to listen to Dark Days(song) on a loop to keep in the mood of Coal Chamber. This is where the numerous album album reviews become chaotic. This is only the beginning.