Viscera EP by Haunting Shores | Teen Ink

Viscera EP by Haunting Shores

By theheavymetalist ELITE, Winter Haven, Florida
theheavymetalist ELITE, Winter Haven, Florida

Take me As I Am - James Labrie of Dream Theater

Haunting Shores is an American progressive metal formed as a side project from the djent/progressive metalcore band, Periphery. Unlike Periphery however, it's more fast paced, epic and less djent-y. In fact, they seem to combine all forms of progressive metal in the EP from the straight version of it to Tech Death to, well, Djent. Let's see what they have to offer for us as well.
Viscera is only really seven tracks long and none of these tracks seem to go over seven minutes. Even if you end up not liking it, you really won't waste more than maybe 35 minutes, not much at all time-wise. Some of these tracks aren't even breaching three minutes in fact. This EP has many things going for it, in some tracks it has a bit more of a softer, haunting vibe to it. In at least one track, we get a symphony and a chorus of some sort which gives it a bit more of a movie soundtrack vibe, we have one track titled after the actor Harrison Ford, spelled Harrison Fjord, and a couple are just absolutely chaotic as well. This is yet another instrument album but even if you really don't like instrumentals, you might not care as much since this EP packs in alot of variety in just seven tracks. The last track does include a guest star from the Jazz Black Metal band Shining named Jørgen Malkeby(I think that's how you spell it). In case you're wondering what he does here, he plays the saxophone in this song which surprisingly compliments the chaos that is the song he's featured in. The only problem I might see is the lack of vocals but there is so much musical variety you would either not notice, or care.
I give this a 9/10. I am the Grim Reaper, signing off.

They have a bandcamp and have their full EP on YouTube as well, if you want to check them out.