Vikings Season 5 Review | Teen Ink

Vikings Season 5 Review

By newing21 BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
newing21 BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey

Vikings is a hit TV show premiering on the History channel every Wednesday at 9 PM. Currently, Vikings is running its 5th season, which right now, is in mid-season break. The show’s focal point centers  on a fictional town in Norway called Kattegat. Through the first four seasons, the main protagonist is the legendary Viking King Ragnar Lothbrok and then develops into a story focusing  on his five sons Bjorn, Ivar, Ubbe, Sigurd, and Hvitserk. Throughout the seasons, viewers observe the progression of Kattegat and Ragnar’s family through war, peace, and conflict. One of the main aspects that establishes  Vikings as such a hit show is its historical value, interesting and diverse characters, with an aspect of war and conquest.

Season Five  starts immediately where it left off on Season Four after the conquering of England, and quickly moves  into an even bigger conflict that affects everyone. This conflict refers to the , divide between the Ragnar’s sons that starts to grow as Ivar and the rest start to disagree on many aspects of war and the conquering of England. All of these disputes  lead to a battle between the brothers for Kattegat, which results in a permanent divide between the family and the destruction of Ragnar’s legacy.

One crucial  contributor to the success of Vikings is the  character development. Viewers get extremely attached to characters and love to see how they emotionally develop. When Vikings started, Bjorn, Ragnar’s oldest son, is a small child. As the seasons go on, he grows into a warrior and is very similar to  his father in his curiosity and thirst to do more. Throughout all 5 seasons, new important characters appear and develop as the story line does. For example, Ivar started off as the youngest son and grew as a character to commanding the Viking Army and later king of Kattegat. As well as the development of these two main characters, growth is seen in everyone as alliances are broken, friends are betrayed, and war ravages Norway.

In this half season, there were 11 episodes all full of action and story development. Every episode forwards the story and increases the tension between the brothers like no other season has seen so far. Across all episodes, multiple different story lines appear and conflict arise everywhere, which all comes crashing down to one huge finale and a giant clash over Kattegat.

The hugely anticipated Part 2 of season 5 is set to release sometime in November 2018. Although Vikings has its flaws such as some historical inaccuracy, fans all across the world are still eagerly anticipating the release of the new part to see how all storylines play out in the new era of Vikings.