My Strange(r Things) Addiction | Teen Ink

My Strange(r Things) Addiction

This summer we celebrated the holiday July 4th, and Stranger Things fanatics around the world celebrated something equally, if not more important to them: the release of Stranger Things season 3. According to Netflix’s Twitter account, around 18.2 million subscribers had finished the third season season four days following its release. Also, people hosted viewing parties at midnight and binged the eight episode long season until the morning. Needless to say, it has gained quite the following. Since this horror, sci-fi TV series’s debut in 2017, millions globally have become obsessed with all things Stranger Things. About five days ago I joined their already enormous fan base. The reason I hadn’t watched the show sooner despite tons of peer pressure and enthusiastic recommendations was out of genuine fear of the whole Upside Down, demogorgon chaos and denial that it was really worth the hype. However, with all the buzz surrounding Season 3 and endless Tik Toks regarding the subject, I was feeling serious FOMO. I decided to put my big girl pants on and watch the first episode of Season 1. To my surprise, the show was exactly what I had been told: amazing.

In five days, I finished the first season and started the first two episodes of the second season. You could blame this binge to my lack of activities this summer, but I’d rather credit the Russo Brothers, the producers of Stranger Things. Watching this show was the first time I’ve had vocal reactions to scenes occuring on my screen. Some of the plot twists caused me to say “Oh my god!” out loud to myself at 10:30 P.M., which is out of the norm for me at least. Every episode, the plot grows more and more interesting, and each character always has their own dilemma and situation that evolves. Also, each character and scene matters and is completely essential to the plot, which makes hour long episodes still captivating and enjoyable. And, the show is the perfect combination between scary and funny. I haven’t seen anything so far that’s jaw-droppingly creepy, so that’s a huge relief. And, the ongoing jokes and sarcasm really elevate the watching experience. 

Another aspect of the show I love is the setting. First of all, having this take place in the 80s brings back nostalgia I don’t have, but want to have. Considering I’m pretty cultured, I recognize almost every song played- Should I Stay or Should I Go? Being my favorite so far. Some of the technology is new to me though. Especially this morse code system used by Hopper in the second season. I still can’t decide if this system was a common thing back then or just used by Hopper since he is a cop. I will sound awfully childish typing that if it’s the latter. The show takes place in a small town in Indiana called Hawkins which adds to the weirdness of the show. Since all these futuristic and unbelievable events occur in the middle of nowhere, it’s extra interesting to see how the normal folk of Hawkins handle it. My favorite scene is when the character Max is introduced to the show by exiting her brother’s car which has a California license plate. She gets out and skateboards to class leaving the four main characters, all middle school boys, completely shocked and curious. I just find it funny how cool and unique they think she is considering she’s from California and skateboards, which is completely normal where I live. 

What I find most incredible about the show is the acting. As an actress myself, seeing how the cast tackles difficult characters and turns what could be bland characters into interesting ones is super inspiring. During the first season, Winona Ryder, who plays Joyce Byers, a single mother who has gone crazy because of the absence of her son, has to basically act like she is on hard drugs, going insane, and communicating through christmas lights with her son. None of which is an easy task. Ryder absolutely mastered this role and gives a more than realistic screen presence. From her body language to delivery on her lines, everything Ryder does is amazing to me. Another actress I loved watching was Millie Bobby Brown in her role as Eleven. Playing Eleven challenges Millie to act through her body language as Eleven rarely says anything, and cry on cue constantly. Both of which are difficult. However, Millie Bobby Brown delivers an emotional and meaningful performance whenever Eleven appears on screen. This is something that I find even more impressive from an actress as young as Millie, and definitely view it as inspirational. Aside from these two complicated roles, the other cast members do a stellar job reacting and contributing to the chaos that occurs. The show feels so realistic at times and never do I question their acting choices or scripts, which happens a lot for me watching some of Netflix’s other original movies and shows.