The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening—A Reimagined Classic | Teen Ink

The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening—A Reimagined Classic

September 11, 2019
By uberbearsharkm8 PLATINUM, Seminole, Florida
uberbearsharkm8 PLATINUM, Seminole, Florida
27 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory."
- Leonard Nimoy


The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening, made its debut in 1993 as the first Legend of Zelda game to be available on a handheld console. Created for the Game Boy, Link’s Awakening is one of the few Legend of Zelda games to not take place in Hyrule, rather focusing on protagonist Link’s escape from Koholint Island. A critical and commercial success, Link’s Awakening has been a staple in the gaming industry, and is often referred to as one of the most influential Game Boy games of all time. Because of this, Legend of Zelda fans of all ages rejoiced when, during the February Nintendo Direct, it was announced that a modern reimagining of Link’s Awakening would be released on September 20th, 2019. 

Updated Gameplay

This is not the first time Link’s Awakening has been reimagined. In fact, in 1998, Link’s Awakening DX was released for Game Boy Color. Unlike the 1998 version, however, the 2019 take on Link’s Awakening will do more than simply add color. The game’s art style has been revamped, new features have been included, and there are cameos from other Nintendo games.

While remaining, for the most part, a faithful reimagining of the 1993 classic, the 2019 Link’s Awakening will have some small—yet very needed improvements. Inventory management will be better handled in the game, and exploration will become easier as players will have the ability to leave placement markers on their maps. 

Chamber Dungeons

The biggest (and most anticipated) change that the 2019 version will include is Chamber Dungeons, a dungeon editor mode run by Dampé, Ocarina of Time’s gravedigger. Located in Tal Tal Heights, the dungeon editor will expand as players progress in the game. Throughout their adventure, players will be able to unlock dungeon rooms, which can be brought to Dampé. From there, players will be able to arrange the rooms to create their own playable dungeons—while feeling like a downgrade from Super Mario Maker, this feature still sounds as if it has a lot of potential.

Amiibos

Nintendo will also be releasing a new Link Amiibo alongside Link’s Awakening, which is modeled after Link’s new appearance in the game. This new Link Amiibo, as well as at least four other Legend of Zelda Amiibos, holds a new functionality within Chamber Dungeons. Creations that players make in the dungeon editor can be saved to an Amiibo, which can then allow for others to play through those levels with use of the Amiibo. This seems like a great way for friends to share their creations without much hassle. 

Grezzo

Nintendo developed Link’s Awakening with Grezzo, a Japanese developer credited with the 3DS ports of Ocarina of Time, Majora’s Mask, and Luigi’s Mansion, as well as the development of Tri Force Heroes. Based on the continued success of Nintendo-Grezzo collaborations, it is no surprise that Link’s Awakening has received a 9.5 out of 10 by IGN.


The author's comments:

Link's Awakening is a highly-anticpiated reimagining of the 1993 classic with the same name. For Legend of Zelda fans all over the globe, this is one of the most beloved games in history and its return is bringing excitement all around.