Unpacking: the game | Teen Ink

Unpacking: the game

February 24, 2022
By LillianM827 BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
LillianM827 BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I finally got my own room! I have so many games, toys, and posters to unpack I'll just take them out of the box and then organize them. The posters I can hang on my wall; the games can go in my cupboard. There are no rules to where I put things. While this may just seem like a normal day in my room, it’s actually a game! Some people might not find organizing relaxing, however, I do. As the creator says, “It’s a zen puzzle game.” “Unpacking” is definitely my favorite game. The graphics I love and the controls are very simple.


The style of “Unpacking” is very 80s. The game has 64-bit graphics with a lot of colors and styles of objects. Most of the objects in the game have their own sound when you move them; for example, the bottle of vitamins sounds like a bottle of pills when moved. “Unpacking” isn’t only just an organizing game though; it also tells a story. Certain objects stay with you throughout the game and objects that are shown in the first part of the game return toward the end.


“Unpacking” also has very straightforward controls, depending on the game station used, all that is needed is a mouse or controller. There are no rules to the game; just a guided placement setting, which is optional. With the guided placement setting on, there are particular places objects can and can’t go. Once finished unpacking all of the packages in each room, a red line will encompass objects in the wrong place. If there are no red-enclosed objects, that room or home will be finished, or given a star. When the star is clicked, an image of the room you are in will be captured and put into a journal or scrapbook with some kind of writing at the footing of the page.


“Unpacking” is an easy game to binge. There are no time limits or scores, just the goal of unpacking a life. The game can be replayed countless times to find all of the different ways to organize each room and all of the various journal entries can be found.


I know it’s odd that this is a game and not just a normal day in my room, but for how easy “Unpacking” is to play, there are so many things hidden within the game. Witchbeam, the creator of “Unpacking,” gives all kinds of hints to the game. These can be found on Discord, Tik Tok, and Twitter; while it can be played on Steam, Nintendo Switch, Humble, Xbox, and GOG; for only 20 USD on all game consoles and streaming devices. For how much I enjoyed “Unpacking” I hope many others will too.