God Of War (2018) what I like about it and what I love about it. | Teen Ink

God Of War (2018) what I like about it and what I love about it.

February 24, 2022
By tucker408 SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
tucker408 SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

My favorite game is "God of War" (2018) and Xbox players will never get to enjoy it. "God of War" (2018) is my favorite game because it includes mythology, but unfortunately, it excludes Xbox players. The main characters of the game are Kratos and his son Atreus. They are a large reason that this game is so good. Throughout the story, their bond as father and son becomes much closer due to their journey, during which they have to be stronger, united or they will fail. Many of the other reasons are the games before it, gameplay/graphics, storytelling, and the Norse Mythology setting of the game.


"God of War '' (2018) is the 6th installment in the "God of War" franchise started in 2005 on the Ps2. The first game is naturally called "God of War". "God of War '' 1-3 all takes place in Greek mythology compared to "God of War" 4’s Norse mythology. Games 1-3 Kratos gets revenge on a lot of people after the gods tricked him into killing his daughter and wife. Kratos hates the god so he tries to kill them, and he also tries to destroy their home of Mount Olympus. All shown beautifully on Playstations past and currently available remastered on more modern Playstations.


"God of War" has been and always will be a PlayStation exclusive game. Also, the game developer will always be Santa Monica (hopefully). The reason it is still only on PlayStation is that when it was created by Santa Monica the only console out was the Ps2 so Santa Monica released the game while being owned by Sony it’s built on a Sony IP so "God of War" cannot be moved to a different platform. It doesn't matter to me that it's stuck on Playstation because that’s what I use.


Working so closely with Playstation owned by Sony made "God of War '' a near-perfect game when it comes to gameplay and graphics. Even in the earlier days on the Ps2, Ps3 "God of War '' was ahead of its competitors when it came to graphics, and has always been an impressive-looking game. That hasn’t changed with "God of War" (2018), so when battling an enemy whether it be a small draugr or one of the eight Valkyries. It always feels like we are battling a formidable opponent. When Kratos is attacked and Atreus yells out “enemy to the left!” while Kratos is getting a giant red arrow from the left indicating an imminent fireball it feels immersive like the player is in the game, and as if Atreus is talking to us directly. When in combat the story is progressing because there is a dialogue between father and son amid battle. Everyone playing gets to see, Kratos seeing Atreus growing as a warrior.


Of course, the story doesn’t only take place in combat during the game, movie-level animations of the characters are seen often talking of the past gods and the future ones too. The whole journey started when Faye (wife of Kratos mother of Atreus) passed away and wanted her ashes scattered on the highest peak in all the realms. Throughout the journey, Kratos has to raise his son without the aid of his wife. Who has died before she could tell Kratos what she was and before they could tell Atreus he was half god. Kratos to share what his past was to his son. Urging him to tell his son that he was a god, and tell him about what the audience knows he did in the past games. The entire story is based on Norse mythology; however, the games beforehand were all based on Greek mythology.


I prefer Norse mythology over Greek because I think that Greek mythology is overdone. Norse mythology is in my opinion a better story because people don’t know much about it. The game can tell the story of the game and it can tell all about the “lore”, random detailed history, of the 9 realms all at the same time. Scattered throughout the 9 realms ancient runes can be found while it’s necessarily needed to learn and memorize them because trusty sidekick (and son) Atreus is blessed with a power of an extremely intelligent mother and her teachings: gods, enemies, and languages spread through the realms. Atreus is constantly spouting information that his mother taught him, but also learning new information from friends they meet along the way.


This game was a game with a movie-level storyline and dialogue all the while including tones of Norse mythology, and also being very enjoyable to play. I also loved seeing Kratos and Atreus evolve from two people mourning into an awesome father-son battle duo. It’s also entertaining seeing the cold-blooded murder that is Kratos to warm up to his son. For these reasons, it's my favorite game and it deeply saddens me that "God of War" (2018) is a Playstation exclusive, but alas it’s just not possible unless someone with more knowledge than I can rewrite the entire game onto a platform-wide program and re-release it. Perhaps the people reading this might try?