Among Us - Video Game Review | Teen Ink

Among Us - Video Game Review MAG

April 30, 2022
By ENikki GOLD, Germantown, Maryland
ENikki GOLD, Germantown, Maryland
11 articles 4 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
Let answers find you.


Video games are often viewed as unproductive, childish, and as obstacles to a person’s physical and social well-being. However, InnerSloth’s “Among Us” (2018) proves that video games bring benefits in lieu of harm. The game is about nine astronauts trying to detect an imposter among their ranks, and it reached popularity during the COVID-19 pandemic because of its virtual opportunity for human interaction. It’s worth your time because of its colorful graphics, good-humored tone, and capacity for strengthening interpersonal bonds.

“Among Us” focuses foremost on comedy. You’re given colorful accessory options to express yourself, encouraging you to wear something as silly as a cheese hat while taking refuge in anonymity. Every character action is bouncy and fluid; the simple, unassuming style keeps a light mood in a game of deceit. The imposter has no graphic design, and the death scenes lack drama. Whether it’s being shot while reaching for your cheese hat, or sticking a thumbs-up, “Terminator”-style, when you’re outed, defeat is never taken seriously because it lacks the drama one feels when they’ve lost in real life. You will realize there’s laughter to be found everywhere — even in quarantine.

Crucially, socializing in the game gave normalcy during the pandemic. With the stakes lowered, you will laugh with your friends as they deceive, poke fingers, and kick out group members. You learn more about your friends’ mentalities by their playstyle in either role, and you use your increased understanding to bond better with them. This comradery extends to even politicians — including U.S. Reps. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Ilhan Omar. Reporter Joshua Rivera noted that as they played and laughed with their friends, “they looked like completely normal people.” In the game, comradery thrives, animosity rescinds, and we forget we’re fighting against hard times.

“Among Us” should be played — especially during the reign of COVID-19 — for its comedic and cartoonish aesthetic, and the opportunity it brings to get to know and play with your friends. The game uses its simplicity to implore you to cooperate with your peers to win, while simultaneously making you enjoy every minute you have with them. “Among Us” reminds us that above all, defeats are temporary, but family and comradery are forever. In times of chaos and despair, it’s imperative you hang on to the people you care about; that you find ways to get around the pandemic without negatively impacting someone’s health — even if an online game is your only option. 


The author's comments:

I played Among Us during the 2020 pandemic. It was less fun to play since I didn't have any friends, but I could see the appeal and the genius behind the premise.

Sadly, I'd stopped playing because of hackers threatening to ruin a game whose sole initiative is fun, as well as hacking my character to say disgusting words. After 2020, the game had lost popularity, but I'm looking forward to what Innersloth may come up with.