3DS System Review on 3DS | Teen Ink

3DS System Review on 3DS

September 23, 2011
By lookhere94 GOLD, Coram, New York
lookhere94 GOLD, Coram, New York
17 articles 0 photos 5 comments

The world of entertainment is evolving. Soon the handheld videogame will be outdated and will be replaced with smartphones. In an attempt to keep this from becoming a reality, about half a year ago the video game giant Nintendo released its newest handheld system the 3DS. The system was off to a not surprising slow start. This was caused by a distinct lack of a marketing campaign, lack of release features, and lack of release games. I was one of the three million idiots who purchased one prior to August. Now, if you are told that a product can do something brand-new, never been done before, and you have no way to verify it as fact would you risk $250 to buy it. Most people (not me) will answer no. I only purchased it after seeing it in action. I have played 3D videogames in the past and the depth added creates, literally and figuratively, a whole new dimension to game play. When utilized properly it is an amazing help and can create amazing graphics. However when not properly used it is only a gimmick. I mentioned that it can help and you’re probably thinking “How? It’s just added graphics.” The answer to this is best explained through example. When Paper Mario 2 came out there was an area that had a large ditch going vertically (from the back of the screen to the front) so the player will not know how far across it is. This is eliminated because the depth allows the player to perceive just how far the distance needed to jump. The graphics are basically under-utilized in this system. I own four games. Of them the 3D effect is used properly in one, maybe two. The game Pilotwings Resort (otherwise known as “that flying game”) uses it in an effort to say “look at what we can do”. The Sims 3 causes headaches while Madden NFL uses it as an aide to judge distance to the end zone. Nintendogs and Cats uses it to create the effect that you are in the room. 3D Classics: Excitebike uses it to create an added depth in a game where it is not needed. Pokedex 3D is a free waste of data space, only useful for the “Oh my god I can hold (insert generation V pokemon here) in my hand” effect, which lasts for about twelve seconds. The highly advertised games do not start coming out until next year or late this year (Super Mario Land 3D, Luigi’s Mansion 2, Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance, Mario Kart 7 etc.) At this point the shop has an incredibly limited stock of games and the console lacks a video camera (until November). On this note I would recommend that a person waits to purchase it until future press releases. This is because of an add on that may become standard (like the Wii Motionplus). Personally I will not buy a new system but if you want to purchase it at Best Buy and purchase their “Buy-Back” plan with it so you do not get left behind when, if ever, the updated system comes out.
The System itself gets an 8.5/10
Nintendo’s handling of it gets a 3/10