NBA Jam on Sega Genesis | Teen Ink

NBA Jam on Sega Genesis

February 15, 2016
By The8bitkid GOLD, Bakersfield, California
The8bitkid GOLD, Bakersfield, California
11 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow know what you truly want to become."



-Steve Jobs


I love a ton of video games,but the sports genre never really appealed to me. It just seemed boring to me,that people were playing something that they could be doing outside.But then I found NBA Jam, and I found out,some sports games, prove that wrong.


Story:
There’s no actual story in NBA Jam, it’s just choose your favorite team and try to win as much as you can. Some games don’t need a story because in this one, the fun lies in the gameplay.


Gameplay:
Forget about realism, NBA Jam is meant to  be fun. Simple controls that only require a few button presses, to the announcer being one of my favorite parts of the game. Rather than narrating the game, he makes comments on the player's actions. if you shoot from a bad angle, he says “ oddly shot!” Shoot the ball from far away and he yells,”From Downtown!” Shoot it close or dunk it in he yells,”Boomshakalaka!” I like this because it sounds like he’s enjoying the game,rather than just saying who passed it to who in a monotone voice. Physics? Who needs that? In the game you can make your character jump extremely high, then drop it in making the hoop catch on fire. Anything goes in NBA Jam. You can push your opponent to the floor just to take the ball, but the audience will start booing though.


Graphics:
The Graphics look well done for the time. the characters and audience might look really pixelated now, but for the time, they were pretty good. The color’s are a little dull, but nothing really else. I like the short video’s they put up during half-time. Sure they repeat, but it’s full motion video on the genesis, not 32x. The quality of the video’s aren’t extremely good, but it’s amazing to me that Genesis cartridges could handle video.


Downsides and Score: 
The only actual Downsides are that the announcer’s voice is muffled and the colors are dull. This game is definitely worth trying,if your sports fan or not. I’m not much of a sports fan and this game surprised me.

 

This game gets an 8/10


Were can I get it?
Copies of it can be found on amazon, and used ones are just 4.99 or more. Some say the super nintendo version is better, so keep that in mind. 


The author's comments:

My drive to make these Reviews is to help people find games of new and old find the best game that suits them.6-10 on the scoring scale is good to amazing, 5-1 is bad to horrible.