Outward Bound | Teen Ink

Outward Bound MAG

Have you ever had the desire to hike a mountain, sleep on oars in a boat, spend the day completely by yourself on an island, but didn't because you didn't have the courage or were too afraid that you would miss the comforts of home? For all of you adventurers of the world, there is a program designed for people of all ages to allay the fears that may inhabit the depths of your soul, a program so outstanding that you will be carry it with you for the rest of your life. This program is called Outward Bound.

Outward Bound is a program designed to challenge the thinking and performance levels of people between the ages of twelve and seventy. Outward Bound adventures occur all over the world. What makes Outward Bound unlike other summer camps is not the wild adventures of water rafting, not the rush of climbing 100-foot rocks, but the trust and friendships that are built between you and the other people in the program. Could you ever imagine that you would entrust your life to a complete stranger while hanging fifty feet from the ground? You experience life away from your parents, teachers, friends and society, and explore through physical activities, writing and drama. Outward Bound is a program that helps you in the process of finding your true self.

Outward Bound allows you to experience adventures that are not encountered in your everyday life, adventures such as hiking, rock climbing, sleeping in a sailboat in the middle of the ocean, water rafting, observing nature, art and drama. Through all of this, there is a major characteristic that you will develop ... courage. You will listen to the voice within you, not the voice around you, to value the opinions of yourself and others, to challenge yourself physically as well as mentally and to make the impossible possible. Outward Bound is a program all about you.Through it, everlasting friendships are formed that you will cherish through your life. The lessons that you learn may be the most valuable of your life. The days you spend on an Outward Bound journey help you to discover who you are and what you want to be. Y