Summer Youth Music School at UNH | Teen Ink

Summer Youth Music School at UNH

By MalloryM SILVER, Arlington, Virginia
MalloryM SILVER, Arlington, Virginia

For many musicians and vocalists, it may be hard to find a quality music summer program that offers everything your looking for. However, the Summer Youth Music School at the University of New Hampshire has multiple courses and oppurtunites that can satisfy anyones desire for an exciting and memorable experience in music. The program more frequently known as SYMS offers two sessions, a junnior SYMS for students in seventh or eighth grade and a senior SYMS for highshchool students. Both offer one major of your choice, either an instrument or voice part in which you do extensive study and practice with other musicians at your experience level in either a band or chorus. After an initial audition for placement at your skill level, you then get to pick two electives which you take along with your major as well as a music theory class and a master class for your instrument or voice. The electives range from courses such as beginning instrument classes, jazz choirs and bands, music studies and ensembles as well as musical theater classes. Along with courses you select to match your interests, the program offers a realistic experience of college life, starting with staying at the dorms at the University and walking around the campus from class to class. Participants also get to have all of their meals at the dining hall, which offers a variety of cuisines that will appeal to anyones pallets. Yet one of the most rewarding experiences at the campus has to be the vast number of people whom you create ties and frienships with. I have not found another summer program that offers a more complete and satisfying musical and social experience, one that is sure to enrapture the heart and mind as well as bring you back again and again.