Small Town | Teen Ink

Small Town MAG

By Anonymous

     I never imagined that living in a small town could have such an impact on my life. There was a time when I thought that it was a disadvantage - the same boring routine every day. Even though I had never been to the city, I always thought that living there would be much better than a small town.

I used to think that life in Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania, was dull and filled with mind-numbing routines. I felt that the most exciting thing was the football games on Friday nights. I hated that everyone seemed to know everything about everyone else. Everyone seemed nosy and gossipy. I also didn’t like the fact that people seemed very close-minded. I felt trapped. I felt like I was missing out on opportunities. It seemed to me that city life would be active and exciting.

Then, when I was a sophomore, I took my first trip to New York City. I was thrilled. I couldn’t wait to experience the city. However, when I arrived in the Big Apple, it wasn’t at all what I had imagined. I knew it was home to thousands upon thousands of people, but I hadn’t expected to see so many people on the street at one time. Not only were the streets filled with people, but everyone was trying to get places in a hurry. Everything moved at such a fast pace. People weren’t friendly either. When I took the subway for the first time, I said hello to the middle-aged woman next to me. She looked at me with disgust and didn’t utter a word.

City life was not at all what I had expected. After just one day, I realized how important my small town is to me. Now I appreciate the familiar faces I see every day. I like the feeling of security and belonging my town offers. Jim Thorpe gives me a sense of community and togetherness that the city doesn’t provide. I realize just how much a simple hello does for someone - it really can make your day a little better. My big trip showed me that my small town really has instilled morals and values in me that I didn’t even know I had.

Even though there isn’t much to do here, I really value the simplicity of life. I never would have known what a big place my town holds in my heart if I had not taken that trip to New York City.