Religious Contemplation | Teen Ink

Religious Contemplation

My Sophomore year of high school I had a Spanish class with the tables set up in groups around the classroom. This year, I sat with a group of guys I have never really “known”, but I have seen around the school grounds. These students appeared to be very good friends with each other, and I was happy for them, even though it was rather compromising for myself, taking into consideration that my other options were not favored, they were the best choice. The next few days of school I have come to learn that these students that sat at this table were extremely intelligent, for they have shared grades with each other, and talked about their other classes.

They appeared to approach school with such a newfangled, tenacious, and scholastic attitude. I was really stupefied, and maybe even a little covetous at their wide span of scholastic excellence.

It very well made me question if I was on-par enough to be considered scholastically “sound”. As the week progressed, everything was ticking along rather smoothly for me in that Spanish class, up until one day, we all sat down and I overheard two of the students at out table talking to each other, one was describing his view on creation, “I still do not understand how some people can still think we are ruled under “God”, and how some man several thousand years ago will save our souls. We really need to grow out of this barbaric nature.” He said in a solemn-like tone. As he said this, the whole group, excluding myself, agreed; almost in unison, and in grace. This is when I discovered that everyone at this table places their faith in the fundamental sciences, pure Atheism. While here I was, a Christian; A nail among screws, a termite among fire ants. However, this newly found knowledge did not bother me at all, for I have always been a strong believer in rights to our own opinions and way of thinking, regardless of your race, creed, or gender. However, what did really get to me and bothered me was their persistency and nature of speaking about others beliefs, which usually consisted of rude, blunt, and meaningless comments towards religious people, I took note that it was mainly Christians, such as myself.

They continued this for a few more days, while i didn’t say anything about it, I just listened. One day, the group was discussing The Book of Leviticus, and its harsh laws towards the people, how it described “that our duty as Christians is to stone Muslims, eat only clean food, and sacrifice children.” This was when I decided to confront them, I just stated that “Christians no longer follow the Levitical Laws of the Old Testament, at least I don’t.” They didn’t seem to care much, they just said “oh, okay”, while mumbling a few things to each other here and there. After this, I decided not to talk about it anymore, because there is no point in it, I assumed they considered me an empty threat, which I didn't mind.

As the months went by I have come to the realization that I cannot simply change how they think, and how they process their opinions, or more importantly, the way they act about it. I started to become less annoyed and frustrated, and more careless and somber,

Yet, it still confused me on why they felt such a strong need for such hostilities towards these opinions. Regardless, we all have our own views, our own fates, we’ll just have to see what ours entails. “Son of Man, you can not save yourself”-Apostle John.