Ohio State College Review | Teen Ink

Ohio State College Review

March 28, 2010
By Christian Anzuini BRONZE, Canfield, Ohio
Christian Anzuini BRONZE, Canfield, Ohio
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

On one beautiful August day, I had the fortune of taking a tour of The Ohio State University. Visitors to this school are able to discern that they are on the Ohio State campus nearly immediately, due to the constant chants of OH-IO! I was instantly able to see the amount of pride these students had in their school, and there are countless reasons for them to be proud. Students looking for a large college atmosphere that is easily broken down into smaller communities should consider The Ohio State University.

Ohio State is located just outside of downtown Columbus, Ohio, providing it with the perfect blend of urban and suburban settings. Walking from building to building around campus, students would never know that our state’s capital city is just beyond the tree-lined grove around which they are walking. However, a trip to the big, exciting city is simply a short bus ride away. The campus contains multiple attractions such as Ohio Stadium (also known as simply “The Horseshoe”), a newly renovated main library, the Recreation and Physical Activity Center (which features over half a million square feet of exercise space), the brand new Ohio Union, and the scenic Oval and Mirror Lake.

Ohio State is a very large university where there is something for everyone. It also has the distinct honor of having the second largest student population in the entire country, with over 55,000 enrolled in 2009. Despite its massive size, OSU manages to maintain a thirteen to one student to faculty ratio. It also contains roughly nine hundred student organizations, making it easy to meet new friends and people with similar interests as you.
For all that you get at Ohio State the cost is surprisingly small. It costs student an affordable $8,679 a year for Ohio residents and an additional $8,037 each year for room and board.
Due to the amount of activity at Ohio State, the university is known for quite a few different things. Time Magazine named President Gordon Gee “Best College President” in the nation in 2009. Their football is nationally ranked yearly and is cheered to victory by “The Best Damn Band in the Land,” famous for the script Ohio formation displayed during each game. OSU ranks among the top ten research universities in the country. Also the first year experience program has been a model example, and many school have used it as a mold for their own programs.
Even with all of the excitement on campus, it is still important for it to be a nice place to live. The dorms at OSU are up to standard, offering standard amenities and many option for student lodging. Students have the choice of living in a single, double, triple, and quad rooms. Each room is equipped with wireless internet access, cable television, microwave, and mini refrigerator.
Before my visit to Ohio State, I was somewhat skeptical about going there for my education. The thought of such an enormous campus was a little frightening. However, after spending a whole day there and meeting with student and faculty, I realized how easily it was broken down into smaller communities. In short, potential students should not be intimidated by its size, but embrace the neighborhood-like feel of the campus.