Tragic night | Teen Ink

Tragic night

October 6, 2021
By 0296766cg BRONZE, Houston, Texas
0296766cg BRONZE, Houston, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Robert was ready to wake up and start a new fresh day but hasn’t seen the sun starting to rise at seven fifteen in the morning. He goes back to bed thinking nothing of it. As if maybe, he read the time wrong or he was just dreaming. Again, he wakes up at two thirty in the afternoon and still sees no sun, streets empty, lights off. He walks downstairs and sees everyone still asleep, and everything is just pitch black. He eventually goes back to sleep one more time. This time he wakes up and his wife Catalina is in the kitchen. They both hesitated. Wondering what’s happening, so the wife goes outside to check if anyone else is confused. As she goes outside before she could even open the door, she sees everyone outside though the window. When she opened the door all she heard was chattering, neighbors talking to neighbors. She walked out to talk to one of the neighbors, she stuck her hand out to shake their hand. The touch of their hand was as cold as ice. Then she thought to herself that the sun was affecting everyone. She knew instantly that she needed to do something. She ran back home to her husband told him everything that just happened, and she didn’t even get a chance to talk to the neighbor about what was happening. She just lost it.

            After she went on and on about everything to her husband, she finally calmed down. He didn’t understand a word she said because she was just ranting about how scared she was and that she didn’t want to die. He knew what he needed to do. By that time, it was already time to go to sleep, so they went to sleep worrying and stressing about how life is going to be now.

            The next morning, they woke up late in the afternoon because they had no sunshine to wake them up. It was around one thirty when she got out the bed to check outside again and she saw no one. Robert was starting to wake up because he heard Catalina making a lot of noise downstairs. When he went to go check on her, she was baking cookies for breakfast. They started talking about their problems and what was worrying her and him so much. But all she could think about was how cold the guy’s hand she shook was. To him he thought as if she was just exaggerating, so he went outside to go see his neighbors and brought them some leftover cookies they didn’t eat. As he walked up to their doorstep, he took a deep breath and knocked twice. The man opened the door and introduced himself and his name was Jeremy. While he was introducing himself, he was shaking his hand. Roberts eyes opened so wide, and he froze. Stiffened up harder than a rock, and in his head, he was thinking to himself that Cataline wasn’t exaggerating after all. After they had an awkward conversation about everything that’s happening with the sun, he was walking so fast back home to Catalina and was out of breath. He walked in the house with his hands on his knees panting dramatically. She was already there at the door standing with her arms crossed, “I told you” she said.

            Above all he realized that something really is going on and they are freaking out. They are freaking out so much because their hands are completely normal and aren’t cold at all. They both feel each other’s hand and look back up at each other. Robert unable to think clearly; bewildered. They sit at the kitchen table in silence.

            As they are staring at each other they hear a random knock on the door. They both stand up and peek out the window. They see nothing but pitch blackness. Then again, they hear another knock, but this time is coming from the back door. Catalina stays at the front door while Robert goes to check the back door. Catalinas little shriek of dismay caused Robert to turn around in confusion. He runs back to the front to check what was going on and a glams at the window he was scared out of his mind. All he saw was a everyone on his block just walking slowly up to their house as if it was the zombie apocalypse. The first thing he did was locked all the windows and put everything heavy in front of the door. They kept opening the window curtains to see how much closer they are and how much more time they have. As they checked they kept getting closer and closer and time was running out till they reached the door. They couldn’t really tell where or how close they were because it was so dark. As soon as Catalina turned her back, they were all at the door waiting for her. Everyone came crashing into their house Robert at this point had no idea what to do so they just started grabbing things and throwing them. Catalina ended up killing most of them by throwing her glass flower vases and Robert killed most of them by throwing chairs. They eventually ran away into the middle of nowhere because there was no light for them to see where they were. Once they finally escaped, they ran into another neighborhood. They went up to a random person’s house to ask about the neighborhood and the same thing happened. There life is going in circle. And they get attacked again. This time they don’t make it out alive.


The author's comments:

The one thing that inspired me the most to write my article about this subject was the book Fahrenheit 451 beause of all the action and insteresting things that happen.