Hunted Part 1 | Teen Ink

Hunted Part 1

February 20, 2010
By Laurennnn PLATINUM, Sadieville, Kentucky
Laurennnn PLATINUM, Sadieville, Kentucky
31 articles 9 photos 31 comments

Favorite Quote:
"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people merely exist, that is all." -Oscar Wilde


I was being hunted, and I knew it. Micah was out to get me, out to kill me. He wanted me gone. I wasn’t supposed to know he was a werewolf. I supposed to believe werewolves were pure myth, pure legend, but I knew the truth.

Seth was my link to the supernatural. He was a werewolf, and in his wolf form, he was the most beautiful, most majestic thing I had ever seen. His fur was thick and brown, but not plain old brown. It was full of so many shades; every strand seemed to be a different color. It was shiny; any girl would kill for hair so shiny. His eyes were amazing in both his human and wolf forms. They were an almost caramel color. In his human form, he was adorable, with a charming smile that one didn’t see often enough.

If he was here with me, I wouldn’t be nearly as scared. I would’ve been protected, but I had to be my stupid self and decide to take a walk in the woods all alone. I should’ve known Micah would come after me. I should’ve known he would seize his chance.

My heart was racing as I ran through the trees. “Please, God, help me,” I whispered under my breath, scared to talk louder, scared he would hear me.

The wind was howling through the trees, and I knew a storm was coming. I could hear the thunder in the distance. With every clap of thunder, with every howl of wind, I jumped. Knowing Micah was after me made me extremely paranoid. Every sound could be caused by him. Every wind could be blowing my scent towards his over-sensitive nose.

Suddenly, I heard a branch crack, and I heard the sound of a running wolf gaining on me. I knew it was over; I could never outrun a werewolf. Never. So, I stood there waiting to face my fate, but then, the sound of running stopped. I tried to move faster than before, tried to get as far away from Micah as possible. I didn’t think it would help, but I had to try.

After about five minutes, I heard someone running again, but now, they were on two legs, not four. It had to be the wolf, though. It was running just as fast. Why had Micah transformed back to human? Did he want to talk to me, to torment me before he killed me?

As the sound came close, I knew I was done for. I knew it was over, but then, “Rachel,” rang out from the direction of the footsteps, and it definitely wasn’t Micah talking. I would’ve know the voice calling me from miles away. I turned around just in time to fall into Seth’s embrace. “Thank God he hasn’t got to you yet. I was so worried that I wouldn’t be quick enough.”

“Oh, Seth, I’ve never been so happy to see you in all my life!” I said.

“You’re freezing,” he said and pulled me closer to his bare chest. He was so warm. It made me feel calmer, and being in his arms made me feel a thousand times safer.

“Well, it’s so cold out here,” the sound of my voice was muffled because my face was pressed up against his chest.

“It’s fall, and it’s about 50 degrees,” he chuckled.

“We’ve been over this; I get cold super easy,” I said.

“I know,” his voice suddenly got very serious, “Now, Rachel, when Micah finds us, when he gets here, I’m going to fight him. I’m going to rip his throat out for even thinking about hurting you, and I want you nowhere near me when that happens. Once I start fighting him, I want you to run; run as fast as you possibly can. Get as far away from here as possible.”

“No,” I said. I tried to be short, to keep my words simple. I didn’t know how much time we had left.

“Don’t argue with me. Not now.”

“I’m staying with you,” I was determined to get my way. I was not going to leave Seth, especially not now. Not when his life was on the line because of me.

He pulled me back from his body a bit to look at my face, “It’s too dangerous. I couldn’t bare it if you got hurt, or worse.” He pulled me close again, “Please, don’t be stupid.”

“I’ll climb a tree to get farther away, but I am not leaving,” I stated.

“I can’t make you change your mind, I guess,” he sighed.

“Please, don’t make me feel guilty,” I whispered, “It’s bad enough I got you into all this.”

“What? I’m the werewolf, and you think this is your fault?”

“No. I know it’s all my fault,” I said, “This is because I couldn’t keep my nose out of other people’s business. If I would’ve, I would’ve never found out about your secret; I would’ve never found out that you were a werewolf, and none of this would be happening.”

“But, Rachel, I like you knowing. I have to hide it from everyone, but I don’t have to hide it from you, and knowing that you know, and you don’t hate me for it is a very good feeling,” he said. “Don’t feel guilty about that.” His head jerked to the left, “He’s coming. I can hear him. Rachel, if you’re up in that tree, and he wins, and I die-” I cut him off.

“He won’t win,” I knew that statement was true. I could feel it in my heart. I knew Seth would not let Micah win. No matter what.

I heard the footsteps by this time, which meant Micah was close. A howl broke through the silence that had followed my last statement. Seth let go of me, “Start climbing.”