The Dark Angel's Redemption | Teen Ink

The Dark Angel's Redemption

By WerewolfWriting BRONZE, Eerie, Nevada
WerewolfWriting BRONZE, Eerie, Nevada

"Life is not about the breaths we take but about the people who take our breath away."

"Somebody! Anybody! HELP!" a scream shot through the night.

Dang it. Of course. Every time I want to relax, or sleep, or do nothing for just one night, a helpless human cries for me.

"HELP!" the girl's cry flew through the air and hit my super-censored ears. It sucks to know that you and probably a few dogs in the area are the only ones who can hear her screams.

Go on, go save her. The good part of me whispers in my head.

It's your day off! Relax! Someone else will hear her! The lazy, rude, and dark side of me muttered.

"Fine." I snapped at myself, and dumped my hot tea in the dumpster a few yards away from the tree I was sleeping in. It was really comfortable, too; It was a thick pine tree, the kind that has really strong limbs and has little pine needles so close together that the tree has a made a natural wall from the wind and environment. I begin to walk on the trail that was made by the park, listening harder for the girl. I look around and notice that the park must be locked and all that is around me is just wild and speechless creatures so I flex my large wings.

My wings are fifteen feet in length and are as black as night. My wings pick up a little wing and I get excited for a moment. Why not? I can get to the girl faster if I flew! I pump my winds once, twice, and I was in the air. Once in the air, I see the thickness of the trees and the maze-like paths that intersect and curve around the woods. The river is far north, and I can see its glittery waters that look like black satin.

"SOMEONE SAVE ME!" It was weaker then before and when I strained my ears I could hear a faint chuckled. Male. Old. Disgusting. I swooped toward the voices and I realized it came from the Head Ranger's Office or something like that. When I get to the dark building I hear it more clearly. They're talking...

"Please...please..please. I-I-I have a li-li-life.." She's sobbing.

"Shhh..shhh. It will all be over soon.." He soothes. He has a smoker's voice.

Once I am a few feet away from the building, I pull my wings back into my torso and it neatly folds on my back.

"Alright, you are gonna pay for messing with my night off, old man.." I mutter. The man's not stupid so he covered the windows and locked the doors so it would have to be a break-in. I sure hope I was right....

Slam! Crraacckkk. Earrrrrrrrrrr.

I opened the door - hoping he didn't hear me breaking the lock - a crack and saw the horror that was meant never to be seen. A girl, fourteen, maybe, naked and covered in a thin layer of blood. She's sweaty and dirty and tied up so she's totally exposed. She's sobbing and begging and a twinge of sadness touches my stomach. The man - the soon-to-be-murderer - was naked and sweaty and was all over her. He got up, though, and sighed triumphantly. The girl begins to sob harder but I can see the relief of him not touching her in her facial expressions. The naked killer stumbled over to a table, where he took a swig of beer, and then unwrapped something. It glittered just like the river.

A butcher knife.

I lunge for the man aggressively and take him off guard. He drops the knife and I crack his neck. He falls limp and I get a bittersweet taste in my mouth; I should of made him suffer longer for what he did. But it's too late, he's gone now. I look to my right to see some stairs and place the cadaver, facing down, right on the foot of the staircase. It'll look like he fell down the stairs and broke his neck. Simple.

After I put the large knife in his pale hand and a few more objects to make it realistic before I get the courage to look at the poor girl. She's shaking and I say the first thing that stumbles from my mouth, "Ah...I'll get you a towel or blanket or something.." I say and stumble to the bathroom. There is a towel right next to the shower and I grab that. I jog back to the girl and curse myself for not untying her bounds first. I don't look at her until her essentials are covered and then pull the duct tape off her arms and legs. She's shaking so I begin to think of other things.

"You're safe. He's gone. He won't be touching you anymore. What's your name?"

She's still shaking and she stutters pretty badly over her name, "Deb-Deborah M-Mason."

"Okay, Deborah. Where do you live?" I don't want to touch her but I feel awkward bending down at her.

"Two miles from here.." It's like she was going to say more but stopped there.

"Okay, listen, you are going to call 9-1-1 and say that you've been...attacked. They will come and get you. Tell them he went to go get a knife upstairs and tripped when he was walking down. You got the bounds undone and called immediately. I never came. He broke the lock on the door. I was never here."

She looked confused, "You...you saved me." Her eyes were blue and were as big as Bambi's.

"Do me a favor, Deb. You never saw me. Please? Do that for me?" I whispered.

She nodded and reached for the phone on the desk that once held her murder weapon. Good. I stand up and walk to the door.

"Are you leaving now?" She asked. Her body was still shaking and her knees buckled.

"Yes, but don't worry. He's gone now. You're in Sower's National Park, in the Chief Ranger House, I guess. Never saw me. He broke his neck. It was a miracle. Divine Intervention. Never saw me." I turned and was about to walk out.

"Wait!" Deb cried. I stopped and looked at her.

"What's you name?" She asked. A single tear rolled down her cheek.

I sighed. I have a name I was given and the name I give the world. Should I?

"Promise not to tell?" I murmur and she nods so viciously I fear she'll fall over.

"My name....my name is Xavier." I give her a smile she needs and extend my wings. She collapses to the ground when she sees my wings, her eyes as big as dinner plates. She grasps the phone for dear life and I pump my wings.

I am in the night sky's clutches and the moon's eerie light. I glide back to my pine tree and slip inside its grasp. I find the limb with the soft bark and lay down. I think for a moment about what I did minutes before. My eyes grow heavy and soon I am asleep. Deep asleep, inside dreams of a news reporter calling me a hero. Not a monster or mutant or abomination, a rich word that would make my freaky life worth it.

An angel.

changerswriter GOLD, Rancho Mirage, California
W-O-W. I loved it!!! 

Kat112 BRONZE said...
Kat112 BRONZE, Campbell, New York

Advice from a Wolf: "Trust your instincts. Be at home in nature. Keep your den clean. Stand for what you believe. Stay on track. Howl with your friends. Be a leader. Pack life with good memories."

Wooh! and your welcome, it's a really great piece!:)

WerewolfWriting BRONZE, Eerie, Nevada

Thank you so much! :) You're the first person to comment. Woohoo! 

Kat112 BRONZE said...
Kat112 BRONZE, Campbell, New York

Wow! This is awesome! Your imagery and descriptions were fantastic! I could clearly sense Xavier's resentment and recognize that saving people was something done daily by him. The depiction of Xavier's character was great too. Please write more!