Namless | Teen Ink

Namless

By andromeda13 SILVER, Barrie, Other
andromeda13 SILVER, Barrie, Other

(614961496149614961496149. . .)

I don’t know how long I’ve been here for; the days melt together, just like my dreams and thoughts. Every time I come close to the truth they smear my thoughts into jumbled nonsense. I’ve tried everything to keep them out of my head. They aren’t human, nothing here is real. The fire in the fireplace doesn’t burn, the food has no taste, and the air is stale.
I can’t remember my name any more. That’s how they get you. Once you forget your name your just like every one else, and they have power over you. We all have a number, which is our name that is what they call us by. My number is 6149. Sometimes our numbers are useful. I use mine to keep them out of my head. It’s very effective. I’ve taught the others how to do it as well.
(614961496149614961496149. . .)

I don’t remember how I got here, or why I’m here. But I know I’m here to be punished. If Hell is real, then that’s where I am. No this is worse then Hell. In Hell at least you could feel the agony. Here no one feels anything. No one cares, and that’s enough to drive anyone crazy.
(61496149614961496149. . .)

Sometimes, someone will completely shut down. They just stop eating, and will slowly waste away. Or sometimes they will go to bed one night and just never wake up. They don’t care. No one does. No one even notices.
(614961496149614961496149)

Two others have come close to the truth, like I have. None of us no why we are here, or where “here” is. I go through my classes silently, never speaking. Thoughts flow through my head; I never grasp hold of any of them. If I think something too clearly they will hear it. A few others and I have learned to make our more clear thoughts fuzzy so it’s harder for them to hear. I imagine for them it’s like listening to a radio. Things are fuzzy, just white noise at first, when you focus or tune in on it, it becomes clearer.
In the halls every one looks the same, in our colorless uniforms, marching in perfect unison. It’s not like regular school; no one bumps into anyone else, or stops to chat. We all walk at the same pace, in scared silence.
Even going outside, brings me no joy, I don’t enjoy nature the way I used to, before I came to this dammed place. The sun is dull, and the grass is brown and dead. Even the sound of the sour tasting wind blowing through the trees sounds foul to me now. None of the other children play, we all just stand there, blurry eyed and brainless. There is no horizon, only mist. I’ve seen lots of people walk into the mist and never walk back out.
(61496149614961496149614961496149)

You are probably wondering who they are. I don’t know myself. But they aren’t human, not even a little bit. They are taller then average people. Their features are more slender, almost alien like. Their eyes round, and white, not blue or green or brown, white. Looking into their eyes too long makes me feel cold, and empty. I stay as far away from them as I can. I sit in the back of the class; even listening to their blank droning voices makes me feel sick to my stomach.
(6149614961496149614961496149)

I learned how block them out after my first detention. It was the first time I had noticed their eyes. The colored part of their eyes weren’t colored, they were just white.
(THEIR EYES OH MY GOD THEIR EYES WHATS WRONG WITH THEIR EYES. . .)
I stopped dead in the hallway, screaming in my head about their inhuman eyes. Then I felt it. I could feel them poking their way into my head, listening to my silent screams. My legs felt like rubber, as I began to run. Run from the poking and prodding in my head. No one in the hallway took notice of me as I ran; they just kept on marching.
I tripped and hit my head on the cold stone floor. My vision blurred as two of them walked calmly up to me, no need to run, I wasn’t going anywhere.
I woke up in . . . I don’t know. I still don’t know where I was. Everything was black. There was no floor no ceiling no walls. Then it started. In my head, everything I had ever been scared of, every time I had ever felt pain was replaying its self in my head. I screamed. It hurt so badly. I clutched my head, and begged for it to stop. I don’t know how long I was in there, until I finally passed
out.
(6149614961496149614961496149)

I woke up in my bed. Well not my bed, a bed. We slept in a large room with blank walls. The bunk beds we slept on were all stacked evenly apart, for miles. There wasn’t a separate room for girls and boys. No body looked anyway. No body cared.
Ever since then I’ve been extra careful to keep them out of my head.
I met 7184 and 4370 two weeks after my detention. They had been students here for a while. I had noticed them before. They were like me, they knew the truth. They weren’t brainless, emotionless zombies like every one else. They noticed things, like the how there were no birds or even any bugs outside, and how the stars seemed duller, and the weather never changed.
I assumed they were brother and sister, both with black hair and green eyes. They told me they knew I could keep them from getting into my head, and that they wanted in. I taught them.

We are all good friends now, although we don’t talk to each other until everyone is asleep, for fear of being discovered. We plan to escape. But first we need to find our names. We know they have them somewhere. If we find our names they won’t be able to get into our heads, they won’t have any power over us anymore.
(6149614961496149614961496149. . .)

the inspriation for this came to me in a dream, i've only changed a few things, :)

Mynameislindsayy SILVER, Seattle, Washington

"I'd rather just except who I am, what's the use of trying to change?"

Wow really creepy and I love it!

Erecura PLATINUM, Eugene, Oregon

"Hell is empty; all the devils are here."
The tempest

I loved it! Totally creepy. Write a sequel, pleasssee!!!

~Erecura

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

Could you please give me feedback on three of my articles?  My comments were for my 'Feedback for Feedback' thread.

andromeda13 SILVER, Barrie, Other
yeah i knw about spelling Nameless wrong. it was a typo lol 

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Oops, one more criticism!  You spelled 'nameless' wrong in your title.

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Wow, this is creepy.  It definitely keeps the reader guessing at what is happening.  It's just that 'every one' should be 'everyone' and 'no body' should be 'nobody.'  Other than that, this was a very compelling piece!

Thief_of_your_heart SILVER, Knox, Tennessee

live long and rock on!

you must make a part two! I Love it!

Keep it up!

delz4 GOLD said...
delz4 GOLD, San Francisco, California

"Experience is not what happens to you, it\'s what you do with what happens to you." - Aldous Huxley

Wow, I really love this story.  I can really feel how trapped the girl feels.  I like how you have created this new, mysterious world.  I want to know what is going to happen next!

MidnightFire PLATINUM, Lincoln, Illinois

'Dream as if you will live forever, live as if you'll die tomorrow.'
for my sister: 'when life gives me lemons ... i eat them'
'do not be afraid, be faithful'
'God is not safe, but He's good'

WOW that was sweet! :) it was awesome, i don't know what to say (: I only noticed one thing: you used no instead of know one and thats all i noticed :) great job

on Sep. 1 2011 at 11:51 am
andromeda13 SILVER, Barrie, Other
thinkin about makin a part two . . .

andromeda13 SILVER, Barrie, Other
thanks, i'm glad you liked it :) 

Imaginedangerous PLATINUM, Riverton, Utah
Whoa, creepy. I walked away form the computer after reading this- and after a few minutes I realized that the back of my mind was repeateing 6149614961496149. That's when I decided to come back and tell you how awesome your story is. :)