Opulence | Teen Ink

Opulence MAG

By AquaGem SILVER, Kalamazoo, Michigan
AquaGem SILVER, Kalamazoo, Michigan

Nobody will ever win the Battle of the Sexes. There's just too much fraternizing with the enemy. ~Henry Kissinger

Life it too short to let you matter.

I’ve been watching him for days now. When he leaves his house to go to school, I’m the one carefully tailing him, switching cars every day to make myself look less suspicious. If he ever sneaks out of his second-story room, I’ll be the one silently watching from a nearby tree. In class when he turns, feeling eyes on the back of his head, I’m the one who sent the hair on the back of his neck up on end. I am the girl whose shadow is always slightly overlapping his.

Being assigned to watch him almost makes me
feel like I’m not a stalker. Though I’m only 17, I’m a full-fledged member of the organization known as O.P.U.L.E.N.C.E. I’ve been with them since the ­tender age of five. It’s my home. Being an orphan, my office is also my permanent residence, the couch a fold-out bed. There are many others like me: no family. A lot of us are loners and haven’t chosen this route for ourselves.

I’m a tracker. I have been for years and some might say that I am the best at not being the best. In other words, I’m great at being invisible. Or at not being noticed. It’s not as hard as the others in the organization think. Being young and female is good, since most we track are young. Seeing me around younger people – my age, actually – doesn’t raise alarm bells. It helps that I’m cute. With a small frame, light hazel eyes, and short blond hair that curls under my chin, I don’t appear threatening. Of course, my ­organization-funded training doesn’t back that theory.

Soon I won’t be tracking down others with the power. They are finally going to give me an apprentice. After years of mastering everything I’ve been taught, they see my potential. That’s not to say I know everything. Even with my extended life I won’t be able to learn all the things I want to. If only this annoying boy would show the signs. It’s been almost a week. If he doesn’t show soon, they’ll reassign me. That much longer until I get my apprentice.

So here I am, sipping a latté and waiting for the Target to leave for school. I have been put in all of his classes in case something happens there, though I graduated high school years ago. Private tutors sped things up. With no family or personal ties, I had lots of time to devote to my studies. Martial arts black belts. Twelve languages, not including English. Everything a girl needs for a serious career in the agency. Such positions of power are not handed out easily. You must prove yourself many times over.

The Target and I have never spoken, but I know a lot about him. His file told me some, but after watching him for only a few days, I feel confident in saying that I know things no one else does. Not just the obvious, either. He resents his father and is protective of his mother, which makes me suspect the father is less than faithful. He smiles often but doesn’t make a lot of eye contact. He usually only speaks when spoken to. Although he has many friends, he isn’t close with any of them. The Target is observant, a watcher. This leads me to believe we would get along if he shows any promise.

I look down at my watch, then back at his house a few blocks away. The Target is late, which means I’ll be late too. Today my ride is a shiny black sports car, not out of place in this suburb full of midlife-crisis men. I turn on the engine impatiently. I’m fiddling with the radio when I hear something. I don’t feel any immediate danger, and I know to trust those feelings. But I ­also know that something is off.

Just as I am about to get out of the car and pretend to look in the trunk, the passenger door opens. I look up in surprise as the Target slides into the seat next to me. I grin, quite pleased by this turn of events. This is definitely a good sign. Perhaps intuition is strong in him. That would be good for my apprentice to have, complementary. I could handle having to deal with that.

“Hello, Lenna. Why have you been following me for a week now?” the Target asks lightly, conversationally, his first words ever said in my direction.

Ah, one of my many aliases. The organization set it up so that whenever I’m on a case, I get a new name, past, and present. It’s very powerful. The organization can basically do anything it needs; it has people everywhere imaginable. I’m just one of many, though there aren’t that many at the top, as I am. They don’t trust many to be trackers. Or to be apprentices. All of the full members have the power, though we control others to get things done.

My smile deepens as I say in my authoritative, professional voice, “My real name is Jade. I am a witch of the moon and a tracker for the organization known as O.P.U.L.E.N.C.E. You are also a witch. We would like to formally welcome you into the organization as my apprentice. Here is my card for verification.”

Jade Wordsworth
Tracker for O.P.U.L.E.N.C.E
Official Political Understanding Lending ­Everyone ­Navigation for Co-Existing Ethereals
Office hours: 8 a.m.-3 p.m. Mon-Sat
Phone: 555-5555
Proud league of witches of the sun and moon.
Worldwide.

“What do you mean ‘moon and sun’? Or ‘tracker’?” he asks, still looking at my card like it’s going to ­disappear.

“Types of magic. Moon is all about spells, the sun is more potion-based, though each type of witchcraft involves the other somehow. As a tracker, I find people like you and I bring them to O.P.U.L.E.N.C.E. Every witch must register, train, and become a member by law. In fact, the organization is like a government targeted toward witches,” I explain with a smile, loving the fact that this time I get to teach the newbie.

“Magic? Seriously?” he asks, eyes wide, meeting mine. They are large, yellow, and catlike.

I click a button on my left, automatically locking the doors. I put the car into drive, pulling out onto the road. As an afterthought I add as a courtesy, “I think you had better come with me.” .

mustache BRONZE, Hangzhou, Other
That first paragraph sucked me in instantly!  The plot develops well and it's great how the background comes in gradually instead of all at once - it kept me wanting to read more! However, I do think the magic element entered the story a bit abruptly and with no true purpose.  It was great without the supernatural component. All in all, though, definitely a good story.  Loved how you named it O.P.U.L.E.N.C.E.

violethawkthorne BRONZE, Fort Worth, Texas
I really liked this. You're a good writer.

In_Love_with_Writing GOLD, Easton, Pennsylvania

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

I liked the beginning a lot, but towards the end, I lost interest. It was still good, though. And check out some of my stories! Please rate them, subscribe, or comment if you can. It really means a lot and brings a smile to my face each time. Thank you so much!

BloglessBlogger GOLD, Somerset, California

"Don't let the fear of striking out keep keep you from playing the game."

Please continue, this has the makings to be a book.

FearlessAngel GOLD, Bellevue, Nebraska

"Pain is just a simple compromise, so we can get what we want out of it."
~Paramore

I really hope you continue this! I didn't want to stop reading.

Setizia GOLD said...
Setizia GOLD, Darnestown, Maryland

The purpose of life is to search eternally for the purpose of life

A well-developed world, well-developed story, awesome characters. And great ending!

djreader said...
love this story, but i sort of need a setting for my english class, please write more!!!!!!!!

amelia.estaire SILVER, Osceola, Indiana

"I take real people and put them in extraordinary situations." - Robert Cormier

the ending was suprising! but I enjoyed this story very much.

Benkudz said...
Benkudz, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania

"Time you enjoy wasting is not time wasted" -John Lennon

I really thought the article was well written. The idea of the agency called Opulence was brilliant.  I think that writing is difficult and I think this writer makes it look easy. 

on Sep. 14 2012 at 8:21 am
MrPuffin BRONZE, Park City, Utah

“Write to be understood, speak to be heard, read to grow...”
(By LCP)

"Promise me you'll always remember: You are braver then you believe, stronger then you seem, and smarter then you think."
(Christiphor Robin to Pooh)

I love it!  I rated it 5 stars!

on Sep. 14 2012 at 8:19 am
MrPuffin BRONZE, Park City, Utah

(By LCP)

(Christiphor Robin to Pooh)

If you like magic, try the novel "Demoness." :-)

on Sep. 14 2012 at 8:17 am
MrPuffin BRONZE, Park City, Utah

(By LCP)

(Christiphor Robin to Pooh)

I agree with iTide. This story  is excellent!  Oh, and please consider looking at the work I share with epiclyawesome.  Search "Demoness."

HollyKatTeenInk BRONZE, Newbury, Ohio

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind,” (Dr. Seuss).

Great story, amazing!

Prose said...
Prose, Buffalo, New York

\"Shoot for the moon; even if you miss you\'ll land among the stars.\"

Unexspected ending!

JRaye PLATINUM said...
JRaye PLATINUM, Dorr, Michigan

"If you build your house far enough away from Trouble, then Trouble will never find you."

"Have you ever looked fear in the face and said, 'I just don't care.'?"

This is awesome! I was sucked in from the very first paragragh. Great job!

Songs_Along GOLD, Abcd, Other

"Sometimes we are only given a few minutes to be with the one we love and a thousand hours to spend just thinking about them."

very well written...keep it up... :)

LongLazyDays55 BRONZE, Other, Other

I haven't failed. I just haven't found 10,000 ways that won't work. [Thomas Edison]

When words fail, music speaks.

This should definately become a book! So well written, I was drawn in so quickly! Well done! :)

. said...
This story is horrible.

Forevernever said...
Forevernever, Sugar Land, Texas

“The irony is that while God doesn’t need us but still wants us, we desperately need God but don’t really want Him most of the time.” -Francis Chan

Excellent story. I would understand if you didn't make a sequel though, for then you would get to watch us beg for one until the end of time *evil grin*. truly exceptional though,  I enjoyed it immensely.

nolanje80 PLATINUM, Kalispell, Montana

“When you're dreaming with a broken heart
The waking up is the hardest part
You roll outta bed and down on your knees
And for a moment you can hardly breathe”
― John Mayer

this is great, ive read alot of fiction books about witches but i think this storyline and plot is by far th best. it caught my attention immediatly and makes me want to read more...please continue this tale!