Fish On! | Teen Ink

Fish On!

December 18, 2013
By CJ Berg BRONZE, Franklin, Massachusetts
CJ Berg BRONZE, Franklin, Massachusetts
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“Fish on!” was the call from my buddy Kyle’s kayak as I turned to see his rod bent over with a striper on the end of the line thrashing its head like a lunatic. Scenes like this made my summer so great. I just loved summer on the island with the kayak fishing, cookouts, and laid back atmosphere 24/7. Sadly, it was coming to an end with school starting in a week along with the anxiety that comes with it. Kyle and I decided to end the season with a bang by going on an all day fishing expedition to waters we never dared to fish before.
I paddled my fastest to get over to him. He had a fierce battle going on with a whale of a fish. After a struggle the monster was brought aboard.

“Wow” I said, “That sucker looks like its been on an a McDonalds diet”

“Ya! That’s one fat fish.” Kyle exclaimed. “ Sam, mind snapping a pic for me, gonna put this one on the ‘Gram.”

“No problem dude.” I replied as I reached in to my pocket to retrieve my phone. I held the camera up to the behemoth of a fish. I gasped; because the next sound wasn’t of the flash it was a SPLASH. I watched our lifeline to the rest of the world sink down into a 30-foot pool of doom.

“Oh crap!” I yelled, “ My Mom’s going to kill me.”

“Don’t worry man,” Kyle responded, “I’ll explain, besides the fish are biting lets stay.” It was a tough decision because I am never quite sure of myself. In the spirit of the moment I agreed to stay, but the clouds on the horizon looked dark.

Kyle and I shared laughs and caught fish after fish for another hour. We were packing up our things when all of sudden BANG! Lightning struck and I was like an ant about to be stepped on. The winds shifted and the waves immediately picked up.

We started our long paddle home, but the waves did not cease in growth. It became increasingly difficult to paddle against the unleashing power of the mammoth waves pushing us out to sea. Rain poured and poured and lightning continued to thunder. I watched as the cliffs of Gay Head whizzed by us as we were pulled out to the open ocean. I hollered “Kyle!” but I heard no reply. This storm felt as if the gates of hell had been opened and let out on us. I said my goodbyes and then waited to die. Out of nowhere I heard waves crashing and turned around but all I met was a boulder that connected straight with my fore head like a Mike Tyson knockout. I was out dead as a doornail.









____________________

I woke up on a rocky coastline with a pile of little silky white birds surrounding me and pecking as if I was a piece of bread. I was so confused. Where am I? What am I doing here? Am I alive? I immediately flashed back to the storm and remembered the terror and confusion. My first thoughts were where is Kyle? Is he alive? I need help. I still remember in June when my English final seemed like a life or death situation. That was a joke compared to now. I turned around and noticed a rusty and rickety sign that read “Nomans Island: Bomb testing facility”. I had heard stories of the bomb experiments held on the island, so I had to be weary of my surroundings.

After discovering my location I searched the island for ways of making the 3-mile trek back to the main island and my family. I found no traces of my kayak and no evidence of human life besides bomb casings scattered about in piles of birds’ nests. I was so alone; it felt as if I was walking the streets of Chernobyl.

I convinced myself to snap out of my confused state and get to work. It was mid day by the suns location. I knew that boats could be passing, but I needed a way to signal help. I had a plan, but it would be risky.


I had no way of starting a fire, so I couldn’t use smoke, and the island had no materials for a sign to call in incoming boats. I knew a raft would be my only shot of getting a boat to notice me. Not to mention that my phone vanished conveniently right before the awful storm. I started the preparations by gathering sticks, shrapnel, and wood. I was able to strand the pieces together with long, sharp eelgrass and collected a pile of Green crabs for food. At dusk I began the journey from the island. The rough and rusted metal bar I had as a paddle was slicing my hand. I moved like a snail. Just as I began to give up, hope sprung in the horizon.

I spotted a trawler coming in. I accelerated like a Ferrari to try to get to spot where the boat could see me. The boat approached and I started waving and screaming like a madman. The boat kept on chugging ahead. I continued trying to get their attention, but the boat kept on coming, and coming. Did they not see me! Oh no! I am going to get run over!

The boat made a slight turn, avoiding me and placing me on the side of the vessel where a rope was hanging down. I grabbed a hold and was thrust aboard. I was welcomed by a group of rough looking individuals not much older than myself. I opened my mouth to explain, but was interrupted.

“Don’t worry kid, you’re going home we know what you have been through,” said one of the crewmembers.

On my way home the guys informed me that a search party was after ever since I did not return the night we left to go from fishing. They said they were looking for a skinny white boy going through puberty and I guess I fit the bill. When we arrived, I jumped off the boat on to the ever so familiar rickety docks of Edgartown Harbor. I spotted my parents looking with both eyes of hope and worry probably trying to spot me coming in. “Mom! Dad!” I yelled. They turned and I leapt in to their arms.

“We were so worried,” my mom exclaimed.

“You got some stories to tell” my dad said. I was too busy crying tears of absolute joy and relief that I couldn’t talk. All was good until I remembered Kyle. I was about to ask my parents about him until I spotted him rounding the corner with four cold and life saving strawberry smoothies in hand grinning my way.

“Sam! What’s up bud!?” Kyle exclaimed.

“Nothing… well actually quite a lot. How did you get back?” I asked.

“I got up to the cliffs and then I was able to walk around until I could find people on the beach.” Kyle explained.

I was overwhelmed with absolute joy and a newfound love for life. My life was stripped away in an instant, but I was miraculously was saved. Little issues will not bother me like they did in the past. I now realize that I must enjoy every minute I spend on this Earth because I never know which one will be my last.