The Horse | Teen Ink

The Horse

Castiels.Freaking.Trenchcoat SILVER, Columbiana, Ohio

"Family don't end with blood, boy." ~Bobby (Supernatural)

My horse’s hooves beat on the dirt ground. I had nothing but my horse’s mane to grab. I snagged the flying hair, hoping I wouldn’t fall off. I squeezed my eyes shut as I whispered to her horse.

“It’s OK, Fast Lane, just run… Just run…” The hooves beat harder and faster on the ground. It felt like I was flying. Fast Lane’s strides grew longer and I tried to get into a racing position but without a saddle it was pretty much impossible. I hoped that my horse wouldn’t get anything stuck in her hoof. That would make her lame and I had nothing to get the stone out.

I looked up and saw a small river. I knew Fast Lane would jump it but at the speed she was going there was no way she would make it without me moving into place. I had to think quickly. The river was 100 yards away and we were gaining on it quick. I tried the only thing I could think of. I pushed myself up to Fast Lane’s neck and pulled my knees up on to her back leaving my ankles slightly hanging over so I could try to hold myself there. I laid against her neck and wrapped my arms around her neck. I looked up quickly to see the river 3 yards in front of us.

I squeezed my eyes shut again and silently prayed that this would work. Fast Lane took her running step to jump and instead something caught her hoof. I was lucky to have my knees on her back so I could jump out of the way before her body crushed mine. I dug my knees into her back pushing off and I leaped as far as I could. I flipped my body upside down and as my hands hit the ground I bent my elbows and tucked my head, doing a fast summersault. With all the momentum I had I was able to straighten up and stand. I turned looking for my horse. She was behind me, but she wasn’t alone.

“Who are you?” I asked walking over to my horse. Fast Lane was favoring her left back ankle. I glared at the golden-haired-blue-eyed boy.
“I am Aaron. I know your name, Chris,” Aaron said. Although he was probably no more than 16 he had the deepest voice that someone that age could have.

“How do you know my name? How do you even know me?” I was furious at him for hurting my horse and there were a million things I wanted to say but I bit my tongue.

“I…” He looked around. “I’ll tell you but we have to move.” He looked his eyes intense. “Now.”
“What!? I am not going anywhere with you. I don’t even know you.”

He whistled as a gray horse trotted in to view, fully tacked, unlike mine. “Look, I know you don’t know me but right now we don’t have the time to get to know each other,” he said as he gracefully lifted himself into the saddle. “Please. We don’t have much time.”

“But… What about Fast Lane’s foot. She can’t run on that.”

“Yes she can. It’s not broken or sprained.” I looked over at Fast Lane.

“Fine but you better explain why you want me to come with you.” I jumped up onto Fast Lane’s back, my arms quivering with my weight.
“Later.” He looked over at me. “Ready?” He didn’t wait for me to answer. He turned his horse and trotted the other direction.
“Wait. No. I am not going that way.” Frustrated, I shook my head. “I am going over this river whether you are or not.”

He stopped his horse and looked back. His voice held a trace of annoyance. “How do you expect your horse to jump? Think! We have to give them a running start.” His horse took off again. I followed, more for the fact of not wanting to be alone. He stopped about 200 yards away from the river and waited for me to catch up.

“You going to have to work quickly to get back into the position you were in.”

“I know.” I looked over the area, hoping there were no sharp stones that would get caught in Fast Lane’s hooves. I looked over at Aaron. “Let’s go.” I took off, trying to get into the position I was in earlier. It was a lot harder. Fast Lane’s strides were jerky as she tried out her back hoof. I finally got into position and squeezed my eyes shut as we neared the stream for a second time. Nothing caught Fast Lane’s foot as she took her running step to jump. We soared in the air, landing in the shallows on the other side of the river, soaking me with muddy water. She breathed out a sigh of relief as they took off, cantering to who-knows-where.

GreekGoddess BRONZE, Andover, Connecticut

"The unprepared rebel dies in the fire."
~unknown

I am a horse person and grew up on a horse farm, and I can say that you really got the emotion and love across very well. There are some things in here that are not the proper terms for horse world, but they can be easily fixed. Other than that, good job :)

EmilytheBelleofA. DIAMOND, Athens, Georgia

To love is to be vulnerable; Triumph is born out of struggle; We notice shadows most when they stand alone in the midst of overwhelming light.

You're a great writer. Anyone who reads your stories will be left in suspense. Hope more is coming! Thank you, for sharing this!

Thanks, Anon! 

Lysander PLATINUM, Bangalore, Other

I slay.

Hey u seriously write gud stuff

No, you're not. It's a cliffhanger. He taking her somewhere. She doesn't know where and neither do I. 

No, I haven't... Honestly, I just made it up. Sorry. 

Ride4Life BRONZE, Calumet, Michigan
I'm kind of wondering whether you've ever ridden a horse before, especially bareback. Because it's pretty much impossible to hold around a horses' neck at a full gallop... But I do like the story. (:

Maybe I should have described that part more, and no you're not missing a part. 

Nella.Girl97 BRONZE, Ashland, Wisconsin

"Keep on dreaming even if it breaks your heart."

Oh! haha! i dont really get the end tho....maybe im missing something?

Nella.Girl97 BRONZE, Ashland, Wisconsin

very good! had me interested from the very start! is there more to it tho?!