London Night's | Teen Ink

London Night's

By Riley Faison BRONZE, Auburn, Alabama
Riley Faison BRONZE, Auburn, Alabama

Clip clip clip clip.... The hooves of the horse drawn carriages were heard  walked across the forlorn and gloomy road on the outskirts of London. The driver was swaying back and forth as the horses steady pace and the endless darkness lulled him into a dazed state.  He was nearly here. The carriage slowed as the horses stammered at the edge of the cobblestone, the magnificent beasts pulled viciously on their reigns jolting the driver awake, "Ya Ya, get on ya mules." He yelled at them. His scream echoed through the arches under the bridge in which we sat. Our eyes were shining like cats as we quivered with excitement, all eyes were on him as we waited in the darkness. A whip cracked through the air and the horses could be heard as they crossed slowly. "Go." The word was whispered through the tunnel we were in and it took it all for us not to whoop and yell at the thrill of the hunt. With our small blades clasped in our teeth we crawled to the edge on the bridge and sat on the rails still concealed in the darkness. Almost as realistic as an aged actor Little Annie walked onto the middle of the street and collapsed moaning as if in pure agony. Perfect. A few more feet and the helpless driver would be upon her and into our clasps. As expected he played his part to the full pulling his magnificent beasts to a halt. In silence he jumped off his seat and walked away from the safety of the carriage, "Ma'am are you okay?" Our poor lass only replied with a small groan. So close. We emerged from the darkness silent as the wind as we made our way to surround the man cutting off all exits. He knelt down beside Annie and held out a hand. One of us stepped forward causing a scuffing noise on the wet cobblestone. "Who is out there?"  She left him no time to leave, in a flash Annie sliced his hand with a small dagger and faced him with a triumphant, slightly demented, grin. We all stepped into the light behind her, 45 of the nastiest street rats to ever walk London. Our faces held malicious intent as he gazed upon us with big, helpless eyes. It was an instant before we were upon him our attack silent and swift, he never had a chance. We looted his carriage and whipped the horses into a frenzy letting them dash onto the streets of London with their lifeless driver at the helm. As quick as it started, it was over. We silently slunk back under our bridge. Our frenzy was dulled by the satisfaction of a success. The night wore on and we stayed awake and alert waiting for another chance, another victim, and other dose of adrenaline. It never came, but the next morning we were pleased to see the headlines of the papers, Carriage Driver Assaulted by Serial Threat. " Serial threat, I like that but what would, be even better would be if people knew that the Harlem Day Gang was in town." Our leader pondered this for a moment, " Gang, let's send them a message to let them know that the nastiest group of orphans and rejects is here to stay