Mysterious | Teen Ink

Mysterious

I woke up. It was dark and cold. My hands and feet were tied up, feeling numb and tingly. “What happened?” I questioned myself. The room echoed and that’s when I realized, I was trapped. I thought back to what happened and why I would be in a place like this, but nothing. I couldn’t remember anything. I looked down, I was wearing a white large white T-shirt. On the T-shirt, there were spots of dry blood, or at least what I can make up from it. The shirt had many rips and tears, I must’ve been in a fight or something. I was wearing dark blue jeans, they were folded at my ankles with dirt stains around my knees. “What happened?” I ask myself again, but this time voice shaky as if I was about to cry.
A tear falls from my eye as I feel hopeless and s if I will be stuck here forever.  I hear a distinct cry in the background. “Hello?” I ask. No reply. “Hello?” I repeat even louder. Still no reply. “That was weird…” I tell myself. “Who’s there? A voice answers back to me. Thinking about the fact that I can’t even remember my name, I reply, “I-I uhm, I don’t really know. Who’s speaking?” “Oh I’m Jeremy.” The voice replies back. So I’m not the only one in here. I wonder what this place is. Have we been kidnapped? Has Jeremy been here a lot longer? How long have I been in here? When will we get out? I had so many questions, but none I could actually form the words to come out of my mouth. I ended up asking, “What are you doing here?” Which is kind of obvious because how would he know, he’s just as innocent as I am. To my surprise he answered, “I was at a party, I remember being handed a drink and having so much fun, next thing I knew, I was in this dark room.” Woah, that’s scary. I can’t recall that I’ve ever been to any parties before so it can’t be the same reason for me. “How can you remember so much?” I asked the voice.
“I haven’t just been here for two minutes you know, maybe a couple of days, but I’m not for sure. My memory has been gradually coming back.”
“You’ve been here for a couple of days? What about food and water?”
“What about them?” he replied smirkingly.
“You need them! I need them!”
“I honestly have not been all that hungry. Which is surprising because eating food is all I would do at home.”
“What about water?”
“Not thirsty.”
This is too weird. I can’t think about the last time I did not want food or anything to drink because it’s what you need in order to survive. Maybe whoever put us here wants us to starve without realizing that we’re starving. But that makes no sense. Why would someone do this?
“Are you okay?” the voice asked. “You’re shaking.”
“No I’m not okay! I am trapped inside who knows what and who knows where! How am I supposed to feel?”
“Okay I get you, but we don’t know how long we’re going to be in here so it’s best not to panic.”
“I’m not panicking!” I noticed I said that in a very panicked voice, but I hope he didn’t notice. It got quiet as we heard the sound of a door creaking open... and then shut. “Breathe,” I told myself as I noticed that I had stopped breathing. The sound of footsteps began to echo in the darkness, I could make out a figure of a woman. The steps were getting closer until finally it came to a stop. “Who’s there?” I ask. Silence. “Where are we?” Still silence. The boy, Jeremy wasn’t saying much either. I spoke too soon. 
“Yo!” Jeremy shouts. “She asked you a question!”
“We’re here to help you,” the lady responded. She almost sounded like a robot.
“Both you and Mr. Jeremy over here are perfect for the spot,” she continues, “both on the track team, as well as the swim team, and top of the school, am I correct?”
“Well, I-”
“So we have brought you guys here today to perform some tests and give you guys a supernatural power.”
“Wait what!” I say surprised by this. “I do not want to be treated like an animal, I want to go home, now.”
“Well Ms. Stacey, we have already performed the procedures needed and you guys were sent here until you awakened.”
“How long have we been here?” I ask.
“Around 3 months,” she replies. “Notice anything different? Maybe the fact that you guys have not been hungry or thirsty?” “We have given you both different types of powers, those including Speed, Breathing underwater for an unlimited amount of time, increased hearing, as well as the ability to fly.”
I didn’t say anything. I just knew that at this point, my whole life was about to change.