Days Past | Teen Ink

Days Past

November 15, 2015
By Sargent BRONZE, Enterprise, Alabama
Sargent BRONZE, Enterprise, Alabama
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Aleksandra Gross is your average thirteen year old.

Standard grades

Moderate house

Ordinary family

"Average" is not part of her vocabulary now. Many events can happen in ones lifetime. This event was not wanted. Now Alek must challenge this unwanted event to save the thing most precious to her.

Chapter 1: Prolouge

It’s all my fault. Nobody knows, but I do. Nobody can know. Nobody will know. Jackie would be here if I had protected her. Now I have to save her. My name is Aleksandra Gross and my sister has been kidnapped.

Chapter 2: Chapter 1: Morning Butterflies

     This morning didn’t feel right. I mean yeah, it’s Jackie’s birthday, but something still felt off. My hallway was decorated with family portraits and poorly made hand art.The room flipped as I was then suddenly falling to the ground.
     “What in the wo-” I got interrupted by a series of giggles coming from the object on me. Jackie couldn’t stop laughing and pointing at me.
     She yelled “You should see your face!” Only to be scolded by our mother and high-fived by our dad. Today’s September 13, exactly seven years since Jackie was adopted.  I was only seven the day I heard I was getting a sibling. I remember being mad at them for it, for a reason I forgot. When she was brought home , I saw these big, wide, brown eyes staring up at me. Instantly, my anger started to seep away from me.  Since then, Jackie and I have been always there for each other.

Chapter 3: Chapter 3: The Party

     The party was starting. The event was held at the little park located right in front of our house. It was only family considering her birthday’s in the middle of summer. The wind blew hard, as I struggled to keep the flaps of my sweater together. My Aunt Neena began to cross the lawn to me, her big hat flopping in the wind.
     “Well, isn’t this nice,” she paused waiting for an answer the continued, “you know that Jackie would love it if you’ll play to her.
     “I know, Neena. I’ve actually prepared a little birthday song for her” I said standing up to go inside. I stared at the little black case, engraved in it was my name and under it read”Stars aren’t only in the sky.”  Picking it up, I rushed back to the party.
Mom managed to calm down everyone so they can hear me play the sweet melody of “Mary Had A Little Lamb”, Jackie’s favorite song. The wind blew a soft breeze as I played strongly with the shiny, silver flute in hand. Once the song was over, everyone clapped, applauding me.

Chapter 4: Chapter 4: Seized

     Everyone soon left the party to go home.I started to clean up when Jackie came over to pick up trash.
     “You don’t have to help it is your birthday.” I said looking over to see what she was doing.
     “Come on Aley, I’m mature now. I’m seven years old.” She said walking over near the road to get a balloon. I decided to just let her be until I heard an ear-splitting scream. I turned around and froze, fear plastered on my face. There was Jackie, but a dark-tinted windowed van was right behind her.
           “Jackie!” I screamed dropping my bag, running to her. A black, gloved hand reached out grabbing her by the collar. Her scream sounded like scissors against a chalkboard, piercing. The hand lifted her up bringing her into the van. I’m too late. My voice caught in my throat as thick, heavy tears started to come loose. Gravity brought me down onto my knees as I fell into the dark abyss of unconsciousness.

Chapter 5: Chapter 4: Course to Freedom

     The sound of sirens blasting in my ear startled me to awareness. Blinking away the afternoon suns’ blur, I found a frenzy of police, paramedics, and firefighters. Slowly, I dodged behind cars and trucks to get home unseen. Upon entering the house I saw Mom and Dad sitting on the couch talking to an investigator. My room was just down the hall. As sly as a fox, I crept toward my room and slowly turned the knob. Once safely behind closed doors, I threw some clothes, money, and other essentials into a book bag. I opened my window, I promise to save Jackie. I love you Mom, Dad, I thought to myself and slipped out unseen.
The tall posts of the fence, keeping anyone and anything from leaving, except for those who possessed a key. I weaved around giant Redwoods and Sequoias, until I stopped. I had no idea where I was going and who took her. This process will not get me anywhere.
It was time to go back. 

Chapter 6: Chapter 5: Risks Taken

     The revisit wasn’t that easy. The procedure to get out was a breeze, but by now they must know I’ve left. The sound of voices was the only thing missing upon arrival of the scene. My family car wasn’t there either. An opportunity like this is to hard to pass. Seizing the chance, I unlocked the front door to the house.
There must be some reason why the kidnappers, or whoever they are, got Jackie. The study room is obviously the answer. In every good suspenseful piece of writing it’s in the bedroom or study. The door sounded a slow creaking noise as I carefully pried it open. Books and papers were scattered everywhere. A table and chair, or two, were knocked over. Getting a closer look, I noticed a few newspaper clippings in the amount of disarray as well.
One was on May 13, the title read,
“The Kidnapper Strikes Again!”
“Ann Little was abducted by a mysterious capper in a black van. If you see….”
I stopped reading. I found even more, one on April 13, August 13, and so on. A gasp escaped me as I realized the connection. All these girls were kidnapped on the same day. My mind rattled with confusion as I tried to think. Next month is my birthday, October 13, 2006, a Friday. The front door opened. Someone is here. I looked around frantically until the desk came to vision. My heart pounded against my chest.
Bum...
Bum Bum...
Bum Bum Bum...
The beat accelerated as the footsteps came closer. The knob turned pushing open the door. I squeezed my eyes shut.
This is it, I thought,
I’ve been caught.