The Island | Teen Ink

The Island

By ksadoff28 BRONZE, Westminster, Colorado
ksadoff28 BRONZE, Westminster, Colorado

Finally it's summer, time to enjoy a great vacation with my friends Oliver, Daisy, Lizz and my two brothers Grant and Riley. Oliver’s parents are filthy rich, his dad is a C.E.O of some big company while his mom is an owner of over a thousand five star restaurants. His parents are sending us to an island somewhere near the Philippines to a high class hotel. The first night there we planned on partying. To start off the night we cheered to Riley for becoming a pilot. I poured some shots,then the night went on with drinking, dancing and a few fights took place. Around midnight we started to head out of a club, we got into an elevator with another man.

“So, you on vacation?” 
“Yeah we just got here and don’t really know what to do to have fun here.” I responded
The man’s eyes widened and followed by a laugh and with that he blurted
“have you ever been skydiving?”
We all liked the idea of skydiving so we planned on doing that the next day, even though we all have a hangover. We were in a line getting ready to jump out of the plane, and I was first. I almost had a heart attack when Grant yelled “let’s go Jason you’re taking forever!” I jumped out of the plane and the others followed, that was the last time I saw everyone alive.

Both Grant and I woke up in a cage with our hands tied together and our mouths duct taped shut. I blinked once, then twice to see a man that had wicked eyes and a mohawk, I saw he had a giant scar that ran from his left eyebrow to the top of his head. He looked completely insane. When he spoke he had a Cuban accent,
“Good morning sleeping beauties, did you sleep well?”
He had a smile on his face as if nothing was wrong, I could also see he had my wallet as well as Grant’s. He read our drivers license
“Grant Brody, from San Diego California. Oh what’s this, you are in the army!” Then he read mine.
"And... Jason, right?” He chuckled
“You two are brothers, that's sweet...”
I looked over to see Grant struggling trying to get out of his ropes and started to talk but the tape on his mouth muffled his voice.
“Wha- what was that? I can’t hear you so there’s no point of talking.”
But Grant didn’t stop.
“Shut up! Do you want me to kill you, is that what you want?”
Grant shut up right away.
"So you guys thought you were kings up there flying? Ha flying, that's some crazy stuff!"
I assumed he was talking about us skydiving.
"Well you see gentlemen down here, down here I am king. I am the ruler, the emperor,and whatever the hell you want to call it. Vaas, that's my name so call me by my name you understand!"
"Jason and Grant I run a very large drug and slave business and you two white boys look very expensive."
He winked at us and then left. I saw grant had gotten his hands free and was coming to help me. When I was free we ran out of that cage and realized we were in a camp, a camp surrounded with pirates with AK-47's. It was tough but we snuck by and got out but right as we became free I witnessed a true nightmare. It came out of nowhere, Grant was shot in the neck. I put my hands on the wound to stop the bleeding but it was no use I had to accept the fact he was dead. I heard laughing, then turned to see Vaas holding a pistol with the barrel still smoking.
"Oh Jason, you didn't think it would be that easy did you?"
" Well since you seem like a chill guy I will give you thirty seconds to try to escape. So go, run to the jungle and to your little friends!"
He disgusted me, one he kidnaps me and my brother as well as my friends then shoots Grant in cold blood. Yet he showed no remorse. I got up and ran as fast as I could and within two seconds I heard shots fired at me. I ran to a bridge where a helicopter shot at me but it cut the ropes instead, and I fell into the river below and blacked out.

I had hazy vision but I could see a black man with glasses in front of me. He put a stick with some kind of spikes on my arm and started lightly tapping it. I noticed there was black ink on the end of the spike and i realized he was giving me a tattoo, then I passed out again.

This time I woke up and I was in a room with excotic animal heads on the wall, but it wasn't a room it was a hut. I got up and walked out of the place and saw a whole village with children and women, there were even monkeys running around the yards of other huts as if they were dogs.
“Good morning!” shouted the black man.
I could tell he was from Jamaica by the way he spoke.
“My name is Dennis and this is the village of the Rakyat. They let me join their tribe after their leader helped me save myself from my people that were in a great governmental issue. The bottom line is I could have died but Citra gave me the power to free myself, and now I am here!”
“Oh well um... Dennis right? Do you know Vaas?”
“Know him? He has destroyed over twenty of the Rakyat camps as well as the natives, I don’t want to know him I want him to die!”

I told dennis what happened before he found me and how Vaas killed Grant. After I was done talking Dennis told me I needed to find my true inner strengths.
“ Listen Dennis I’m not this so called “warrior” you think I am, there is no power in me. If you think I can save my friends you’re wrong they are as good as dead.”
“Jason what is wrong with you? This man has killed your brother and you feel you shouldn't do something about it. You want to save your friends and your brother right?”
“Of course I do but how do you suppose I could do such a thing?”
“I will take you to Citra, she will know what to do!”

Dennis brought me to the other side of the island, there was a giant temple with some people with guns but they didn’t look like they worked for Vaas.
“Hey Dennis who are those men guarding the temple’s entrance?”
“They are true Rakyat warriors, those tattoos on their arms show a symbol of loyalty to Citra.”
I was starting to think that Citra was just a non-existing god of the tribe. We walked up the stairs to get in, once the doors opened I saw at least one hundred warriors lined up as if they were an army. Behind them a beautiful woman walked up to me and asked “ what is your business here?”
I didn't know how to tell her the whole conflict.
“I want to kill Vaas!”
“That is not good enough, get him out Dennis.”
“He killed my brother” I yelled at her with anger.
After I said that she really listened, she walked up to me with a map with two red circles on it.
“This map represents the locations of your friends and your brother. They are prisons guarded by two pirates, so you can kill them easy.”
“What will I kill them them with? I have no weapons.”
Citra snapped and right away one one the warriors came up to me and gave me his gun. I looked back at Citra and her eyes were narrowed down at me.
“I want you to know, Vaas is my brother. He killed our mother and father and I want him dead as much as you do!”

Hearing what Vaas did told me that he was truly a lunatic and that he would kill my friends no problem. I walked out with Dennis and headed to the first prison with guns in both of our hands. We got there and realized it wasn't much of a prison, there were only large cages for animals lined in rows of six.
Dennis whispered to me “Jason look over there! I think I see the guards.”
I took a look over and saw the two guards standing in front of one of the cages. I walked closer and Dennis followed, out of nowhere gunfire filled the air. It was Dennis charging at the guards yelling “for Citra!”
“Wait Dennis you're going to get yourself killed!”
I spoke too soon, I saw two dead pirates and Dennis panting like a dog. The cage in front of us held Liz, Daisy, and Oliver. Their eyes lite up when they saw me, I untied the ropes holding them and hugged them all.
“Boy Jason are we glad to see you!” Oliver was crying happily.
I told them I still had to find Riley, they all told me good luck then followed Dennis to safety back to the temple.

The next prison was more advanced with sirens and cars with mounted guns on top, but there was something off about the place. There were no guards to be seen anywhere as if there was no purpose being there. The hallways were empty, but I heard one noise and walked over to it. I saw Riley in a cell crying and his hands were bleeding from cuts that I didn't know the cause to.
“Hey Riley it's me Jason!”
“W-what are you doing here, he’ll kill us both.”
“He? What do you mean he?”
BANG!
A gunshot rang through my ears but luckily the bullet missed.
“Oh silly Jason, did you really think it would be that easy?”
I looked to see Vaas so lunged at him with a knife aimed at his throat. I missed his neck but managed to get his stomach, he wailed with pain and fell to the floor bleeding out.
“That is for my brother!”
I opened the door to the prison cell and Riley came out and hugged me.
“I thought I was going to die, I thought I wouldn't see you again.”

There was a creek behind us, I turned to see Vaas with his gun pointed at me with his stomach still bleeding. He fired then died, leaving me with a bullet in my neck.
“No!” Riley yelled as I hit the floor.
I gave Riley the map and gun so he could find his way to Dennis, he left with tears in his eyes knowing I was going to die. At this point I thought of Grant and how he died, it was sad but nice to think about him and I in the same situation.
My vision went blurry, then black and I was gone with the island.

We were required to write a story in my American Literature class and I recently watched a movie with an island and a jungle which inspired me to writwe this story.