Mark the Treasure Hunter | Teen Ink

Mark the Treasure Hunter

By Sam516 BRONZE, Amery, Wisconsin
Sam516 BRONZE, Amery, Wisconsin

El Dorado
This story starts off with an 8 year old kid named Mark sitting on the couch in his house. Mark was watching a documentary on treasure hunters, he was fascinated by them. That night Mark had a dream about finding the lost city of gold. When he woke up in the morning he ran down the stairs. In the kitchen was his mom named Cathay and dad named Karl drinking their morning coffee. Mark ran into the kitchen to have his pancakes and orange juice. His mom told him that the bus was going to be here in ten minutes. So Mark went back upstairs and got ready for school.
When Mark got to school, his teacher told them to write a paragraph on their dream job. After Mark’s teacher told the class what they would be writing about, Mark went right to work. That night when Mark was at the dinner table at home his mom asked him what he learned in school that day. Mark told his parents that he had to write a paragraph about his dream job. His dad asked him what was his dream job and Mark told him he wants to become a treasure hunter. His dad told him that he should follow his dream. So that day forward he told his parents that he will find the lost city of gold. About two weeks after his dad told him to follow his dreams his dad died of a heart attack. When he got to the hospital he stood next to his father’s hospital bed and promised him that he is going to find the lost city of gold. In his father’s hand was a necklace with a gold coin on it. Before he died he told Mark that his grandfather gave his father the necklace and his father gave him the necklace, and now he is giving the necklace to him.
Now Mark was the age of 25 and in his apartment he is getting ready for work. He got into his car and is now on his way to the office building where he works. If you are wondering if he is a treasure hunter he is not. He actually is an assistant of a sales assistant, so his job is pretty boring. That night when he got home he had his supper with his girlfriend named Cindy. After supper he went to his desk and he just sat there. Then he opened up the desk and inside was the necklace his father gave him. He then remembered the talk he had with his father at the dinner table the night he told him not to give up on his dreams. He ran into his bedroom where his girlfriend Cindy was sitting in on the bed, he told her that he is going to find the lost city of gold. She just sat there and laughed at him and claimed that he had no chance of finding the lost city of gold.
The next day when he got to work he went to his boss and just told him that he quits. Later he went home and research on the lost city of gold like where it was last seen and who saw it. Then he called his mom and told her if he can come and visit she of course said sure. The next day he went to his mom’s house and he asked her if dad had any research on the lost city of gold. She told him that if he did it would probably be in the attic so he went to the attic. When he got to the attic he looked all day for stuff about the lost city of gold. When he got to the last box he opened it and it was filled with research of the lost city of gold. There was a lot of research and it was not all from his father, some of it was from his grandfather and great grandfather. At the bottom of the box was a journal and it was his great grandfather. Inside the journal was a map of Columbia and notes of where to find El Dorado aka the lost city of gold. He then realized that his great grandfather was a treasure hunter too. So now with the help with the journal he is going to find the lost city of gold.
About three days after he found the journal he went back to his apartment and called his best friend named Kelvin. He told him that he is going on the quest on finding the lost city of gold. Kelvin told him to come over. Mark told him he will be there in about five minutes. When Mark got to Kelvin’s house he asked him if he will help him on finding the lost city of gold. Kelvin just like Cindy, Mark’ girlfriend, just sat on a chair and laughed. Then Mark showed him the journal that his great grandfather made on his search of finding the lost city of gold. Kelvin read over it and told him he was crazy. So kelvin told him since he had has back he will have his and so he answered Mark and told him yes I will help you find the lost city of gold.
Mark and Kelvin booked there plane rides to Columbia in South America. On the plane Mark caught up Kelvin on all of the research he had found on El Dorado. When they arrived in Columbia they met up with a guide that is going to accommodate the two of them. The guides name is Juan and he carries around a machete for protection. Juan tells them that it is going to be a dangerous trek to find the lost city of gold.
Mark, Kelvin, and Juan are on a trial that leads to a cave. In Mark’s great grandfathers journal he wrote that the entrance is in a cave that only animals can find. At first Mark had no idea what that meant. But then he saw a stone carving of a lion on the face of a wall. He pushed it and a hole in the face of the wall appeared and they went inside. When they got inside they saw burned torches on the ground, and they made the assumption that someone was here before. The weird thing was they were still warm from being on fire. They used them and walked down the cave. Down the cave they heard a noise and when they got down the cave they saw a guy and a girl standing there looking at some cave drawings. They went up and asked them what they are doing. They answered by saying just looking at these cave drawings. The girl asked them what their names were. Mark told them his and same for Kelvin and Juan. The girl told them that her name was Beth, and told them his name is John. John seemed like he didn’t like them so he told her to follow him so she did. Kelvin asked Mark if he thought the two of them seemed weird. Mark answered with he thought that that guy… John seemed weird. Kelvin told him what about that girl named Beth. Mark answer in a tone that it seemed that he had a crush on her. Juan was laughing and yelling in Spanish you have a crush on here. Mark told Juan to be quiet because he heard something down the cave, and it was Beth screaming. When they ran down the cave and saw Beth hanging over the edge of a cliff. Mark helped here up and asked where John went. She answered with he just left me hanging of the cliff. Mark told her that was a jerk of a move. She asked Mark what they were doing in the cave. Mark answered with we are trying to find the lost city of gold with help of my great grandfathers journal. She told them that she and John were looking for it until they ran into a dead end. Mark asked Beth were she had the dead end. She showed them the wall with the cave drawings on it, it was the wall that John and she were looking at. When they got to the wall Beth told them she didn’t know what the words on the wall said. Mark looked in his great grandfather’s journal and on the paper it show the words and the translation was the door. A button was on the wall and he pushed it and a door opened. Behind the door was the lost city of gold. Mark was so happy he started to cry. He has fulfilled his great grandfather’s goal and fined the lost city of gold.
When he got back to the United States of America he was asked to be on the Oprah Winfriy show and talk about his journey on finding the lost city of gold. At the show Oprah asked him what he is going to do now. He smiled and said.
TO BE CONTINUED

About Mark the Treasure Hunter