The Beginning of the End | Teen Ink

The Beginning of the End

By Alan_Fletcher BRONZE, San Antonio, Texas
Alan_Fletcher BRONZE, San Antonio, Texas

The rookie went in first. There was a piercing scream and then silence. The rest of us charged in guns a blazing to find nothing. No body. No attacker. Nothing.

Back at the office, I thought for a long time about what had just happened. It was supposed to be an easy, routine capture. I decided to take 6 men and go back to the room. Once we got there, we began investigating the jet black room. We tore up the carpet looking for trap doors, but there was nothing. Just an empty black room. Suddenly the smallest officer, Mason, began floating. Without thinking, everyone started shooting up. Strangely none of the bullets went through the ceiling. They just bounced off like a rubber ball on a tile floor. “Hold your fire!” I ordered. Just then, everyone but Mason flew out of the room and the door slammed shut. A couple of seconds later, the door flew open and Mason’s cold, pallid corpse slid out into the hall like a walrus on ice. Ben, another officer, tried to charge into the room; but he didn't make it before the door closed again sealing its mysteries from the rest of the world. We checked for a pulse but found nothing.
         “It looks like whatever attacked him broke his neck,” offered Ben.
         “Whatever it was knew what it was doing,” I added.
In the truck on the way back to the office, we sat in silence. I began thinking about Mason “floating” and the thing that killed him. “Did any of you guys hear or see anything while we were in that death trap?” I asked.
“I didn’t hear anything,” answered the driver, Zane. “But I did see something. When Mason was floating, it looked like something had a hold on the back of his shirt.”
“Yeah, I noticed that too,” added Daniel.
“What should we do?” questioned Peter.
“Evacuate the building and bomb it from afar?” suggested Colby, the reckless one in the group.
“Sounds like a good and bad idea all in one” I said, “And we would need government clearance.”
“And where would we get the resources to do that?” asked Zane.
“I have no clue,” finished Ben.
Once we were back at the office, we brought the body in and informed Mason’s family of the  incident. What we just encountered is not human, I thought. Just then I heard a loud crash from downstairs. Rushing to see what was going on I froze on the stairs, shocked at what stood in the kicked in doorway. A big burly man carrying an assault rifle in one hand and a limp body in the other towered over everybody else. “I believe this is yours,” he stated in a harsh, metallic voice and threw the body to the floor. It was the rookie! Two agents approached him and commanded him to seize hostility. The man raised his rifle and filled both men with lead. I flew back up the stairs and sounded the alarm. The security force lined up and open fired on the advancing threat. Once the smoke cleared, everyone lowered their weapons to see their results.
“What!” I exclaimed. “That didn’t even phase him!” Everyone ran and ducked for cover as the man continued on his path. I raced up stairs and grabbed the gang for evacuation.
“What’s going on down there?” Questioned Peter.
“Why don’t you go down there and see,” antagonized Ben
“NOT NOW!” I yelled, “We have to leave.” “Grab your weapons and lets go!”
Just as we left, the FBI building exploded and shrapnel flew everywhere. “Well there’s your problem,” joked Ben. We all stared at him. “What too soon?” he asked.
“I don’t know you tell me!” yelled Zane.
“What are we gonna do?” asked Daniel.
“Evacuate the building and explode it from afar?”, questioned Colby
“Everything has a weakness,” said Peter, “Like if I kicked Ben in the.”
“Ok we get it,” I said, “Let's see if external attacks won’t work than maybe internal attacks will.”
“Which one of us is stupid enough to shove an explosive down his throat?” said Peter. Everyone looked at him with a thoughtful look. “Oh no, I am not that stupid.”
“Yes you are,” said Daniel.
“Fine. I’ll do it if Colby gets his attention,” said Peter.
“Fine with me,” agreed Colby.
We made a stop to get food and listened to the radio for news on the destruction. “So we agree to attack at dawn,” I stated, “Get some rest and wake up early.”
I jerked up in a frantic state. I glanced at my watch and realized I had woken up just in time. After waking everyone else up, I began preparing for what approached. I loaded all of my magazines and cleaned my guns.
“Dawn approaches,” Ben warned.
“Let's give him hell!” yelled Peter ironically the atheist.
We all strapped in and turned on the radio for news. “It appears that the man is terrorizing the downtown area,” said the Reporter.
“All right, let’s go,” said Daniel.
Zane put the pedal to the metal and we raced towards downtown. Just as we pulled up to the corner of the street, a bus flew in front of us. “Alright the plan begins now,” I announced, “Peter, Colby go!” They charged out of the truck and began their work. Peter waited for Colby to do his part. Colby took his place and started shooting at the man’s eyes. The man and walked towards Colby. Peter took the chance to charge and jumped on the man’s back, shoved a grenade into his mouth and jumped off. The man ran at Peter and tackled him before he could get away. Zane lept out of the truck and tried to pull the man off of Peter. It was too late. The man’s head exploded taking Peter and Zane with it.
“Well that finally shut Peter up,” joked Ben.
“Too soon again!” I yelled.
“We probably should've helped,” said Daniel.
“Yeah probably,” said Ben.
Suddenly, the body of the man jumped up and sparks shot out of his neck. “I get it now,” I said, “He’s a robot!”
“Really?” Ben said sarcastically, “What gives you that idea.”
“That would’ve been nice to know before hand!” yelled Colby who had returned from his position.
“Definitely,” I agreed
“So what do we do now?” asked Ben.
“We improvise,” said Colby charging while pulling the pen on another grenade.
The rest of us charged and split up. I took the front, Ben took the left, and Daniel and Colby took the right. We all threw our grenades simultaneously and only one found its  mark. Mine flew and went straight down his neck. Seconds later the robot’s pieces flew everywhere. I strode over to his remains and began tearing wires agart.
“Now it’s over,” I said, “Everyone can live in peace.” And the remainder of us walked off.
As we turned we all froze. A horde of machines stood and stared at us. Waiting.