Floating Away | Teen Ink

Floating Away

July 4, 2018
By asulfridge GOLD, Boise, Idaho
asulfridge GOLD, Boise, Idaho
11 articles 1 photo 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"What have you brought me today? Delusional mutterings with a side of crazy?"
~ Winter, Marissa Meyer


Lucy felt the weight lift off her shoulders, as if all life's problems were suddenly no longer her concern. Her mind felt fuzzy at first but then was released from the pains of before. The light was dim at first, but was getting brighter as she floated towards it. In her right mind, she knew she was lying in her bed, surrounded by her loved ones. But her consciousness seemed to be floating upward, leaving her body behind.

The gate opened up before her. She looked down, and her body was gone. She could still feel the coldness of earth, but it was slowly floating away. She looked back to the front, and almost burst into tears. She saw a golden city, too bright for her eyes. She saw many people, dancing around a bonfire. Beyond that was a field full of happy children. She walked forward, her feet no longer in pain from old age. She felt her face. Her face was no longer haunted with wrinkles, but was as smooth as when she was a teenager. A glass wall stood before her, showing her reflection. She was young and beautiful again. She felt a strong presence behind her, but she did not want to turn around. She felt unready to meet him, to leave her younger family behind on earth. But she felt him urging her to turn around. She did. And she screamed, gasped, fainted.


The author's comments:

This was part of a quiz I had to take where I had to created a two paragraph symbolic story.