Fear | Teen Ink

Fear

By Grinn SILVER, Sydney, Other
Grinn SILVER, Sydney, Other

I’ve decided to stop in a small village in the middle of the country for the night. The welcome sign, if it was a welcome sign, had violent, unrecognisable scrawl written all over it. In my 17 years of existence as a traveller, I have never seen a language like it. It’s most reminiscent of the language of the Tremblers, a savage, cannibalistic village deep in the marshes of Burgoo. The village itself is weird too. It’s like a ghost town, with nothing in sight.

Old, wooden houses line the sides of the thin streets. Light whispering fills the stale air. There is a sinister presence, and it seems to be following me. If there is one thing I learnt from my run in with the Tremblers, never show fear in the face of invisible danger. The fear gives the danger a chance to strike, and if it wasn’t for my incredible luck, I doubt I would have made it out of those marshes alive. I decided to set up camp under and old shed made out of broken down wood and old scrap metal.

It doesn’t seem like I’ll be getting any sleep tonight. If I was smart, I would have quickly left the small village before any trouble had been given a chance to start.

Though I doubt my hosts would have let me leave quietly.

I’m staring at the rusty ceiling of the shed, listening to the pitter-patter of rain outside. I hear breathing over the heavy rain, and sometimes, the shed shakes as if to remind me that I’m not alone. I hear a howl in the distance, and I jump. Bad decision. The shed shakes violently. My heart feels like it’s going to jump out of my chest. I grab the knife I keep in my left pocket, and I grip it tightly. Beads of cold sweat are forming on my forehead.

I hear large strips of scrap metal fall outside, and I know I’m done for if I don’t do something. I calm myself, breathing in and out deeply. The shaking gets less violent. These creatures are feeding on my fear, I think to myself. I decide that it’s my time to leave. I gather up my equipment as calmly as I can and slowly leave the shed. I manoeuvre the thin lines of pavement, trying to keep my mind off the footsteps and screaming behind me. After what seems hours, I reach the exit. I begin to take a step, when I feel a creatures breath on the back of my neck. I freeze in place. It’s do or die now-literally. I shakily take my next step only to feel a slimy finger run up my back. It sends jolts up my spine and I here myself let out a tiny scream. The finger stops, and starts digging into my back. The pain is incredible.

No, I think. I have to make it out of here alive. I take another step, and another. I feel 20, maybe 30 hands garb hold of my limbs, and I hear screams of pain. I take another step, and just like that, I’m out. The hands loosen their grip, and let go of me, I break into a run, tears running down my face, leaving the town and the screaming creatures behind me.

This my first piece, so be nice.
It's inspired by creepy pasta, so it's meant to be kinda creepy. I hope you enjoy it.