The Train Stop in the Heavens Above | Teen Ink

The Train Stop in the Heavens Above

For this set piece, I decided to play around with metaphors and imagery.  The definition of metaphors is when an author describes ideas or actions with non-literal terms. For example, in my set piece, I used a metaphor of a train to the other world to represent death and what happens after. I also used imagery, which is when an author describes a scene using our five senses. Before I read you my set piece, I’ll give you a bit of context to the story. A girl was bullied by other kids and takes it out on others. This caused some of the kids that she bullied to commit suicide. She feels she can’t be forgiven for her actions, hence she killed herself. The second paragraph tells us what it's like when she gets off the metaphorical train and onto a train stop somewhere in the other world. She describes that despite the train stop being a nice place, it didn’t solve her problems. Hence she thinks she will never get to her terminus, where she truly finds warmth and peace. 

How was I able to hold up being bullied when I was little? I should have done something about it. Because whenever I walked home, another life would be buried. I don’t think I deserve to live anymore after everything I have done. I cover up my ears and shut my eyes each time I hear, “I get it, I was bullied too.” or ”You're a horrible person, I hope you get what you deserve after what you have done.” I don’t think I can live a proper life anymore. People would just distance themselves from me. Tell me, is there any worth to a life that wants to end itself? No. And does it matter anyways? No, because everyone would eventually get on the train to the next world. The idea of happiness is uselessly deep and evanescent that is filled with wrinkles and holes that I would never be able to patch and iron. So when I decided to take the train to this other world, with the ticket clutched in my hand, I screamed in regret just as I hopped onto the train. 

Someone, please just give me a hug, and please forgive me for being so mean to myself. I don’t get it. I just got off the train somewhere in the next world. Isn’t this what I wanted? The grass is green, and the sky is so blue. The mountains behold a sight and the flowers are in all sorts of bright shades of color. But I’m lonely. But I’m stuck. Am I going to be like this forever? Is there going to be an endpoint to this train? Because nothing has changed ever since I got here, and I never got to my terminus. Is it possible to go back? But then again what are the chances that I would say “I want to leave this world, bye!” again? So please listen to me, as my peers move on from their hardships, I’m stuck here in a purgatory that I don’t think will ever end. Nobody is here and it's so lonely. I want to scream out and cry and start all over again, but I don’t think that is possible. So don’t be rash like me, the train isn’t as great as it sounds. Because what are the chances you’ll get to the final station, and be stuck at this train station forever? You can experience the green grass and blue skies when you are alive, instead of being trapped in this place considered to be heaven.

Visit https://www.teenink.com/HealthResources if you or a loved one is feeling depressed, overwhelmed or suicidal.