Daydream Believer | Teen Ink

Daydream Believer MAG

By Anonymous

   Cars were zooming by us on the highway with their windshield wipers going on high. They seemed to be in a huge rush to reach somewhere. They were speeding as if they were dodging snowflakes. I watched all the cars follow each other on and off the highway. They seemed to be marching at the same speed. Of course, that's probably how General Washington trained them.

"Hurry up now. We have no time to spare," said the General, sounding a bit frustrated at the soldiers' slow speed. "We must reach New York before the enemy gets word that we're planning a surprise attack."

They had traveled four or five miles when young Thomas Abbott spoke up.

"Sir, may we rest our tired feet for just five minutes before continuing?" he asked, sounding very tired.

"No!" exclaimed the General with annoyance. "Are you such a coward that you cannot walk without a break every other minute?"

"No, it's just that I wanted to fix my back pack," said Thomas.

"You can wait until we reach the border, then fix your things," replied the angry General. "You have caused us to waste precious time."

"I apologize sir, but-

Beep, beep!

"I can't believe the nerve of that man. Trying to pass us on a one-lane highway!" my sister, Nancy, exclaimed. She is a very careful driver.

"This is New York," I reminded her. "People would run over the President and not even bother to look back."

"True, true," she replied, reaching for the radio button. "Maybe some music will keep our minds off the bad drivers," she said laughingly.

I really didn't like the song playing now, or the next one, or the next. But the one after that I loved. It was called, "I Wanna Be Rich." It had a nice tune. As I started to sing, my sister kept insisting, "Stop singing!"

"Miss Rita, Miss Rita."

"What is it, Ramon?"

"I'm sorry to interrupt, but Hans would like to know if this limousine is adequate for the trip?"

"Is that all you wanted?"

"Yes, madam."

"It's all right, I suppose. Now leave me alone. You've interrupted a very good song."

"Very well, madam."

As I poured my drink, I noticed that this limousine wasn't the best. It didn't even have enough seats. Just eight. Well, my private jet better be all fueled up and ready to go as soon as I arrive.

"This limo is lousy. Maybe "Well, we're here, Kennedy Airport," Nancy said. "Come on. Help me with the luggage."

We walked into the airport terminal, checked in, and found a good place to relax while waiting. Finally they called our flight, but we ended up boarding two hours late because of a bomb scare.

After everything had settled down, we boarded and took off, I got up to go to the bathroom.

"Don't anybody move," I yelled. There were lots of gasps coming from the passengers. Holding a gun, I told the stewardess, "I want to see the captain, now."

"...Uh, okay," she quickly replied.

She led me to the captain.

"Hey, what's going on? I'm trying to fly a plane here," said the pilot.

"I want to go to California, now. You better do as I say, or there are going to be a lot of dead people on this plane," I told him in a very harsh manner.

"Why?" the captain asked.

"Don't ask questions. It's none of your business. Just do it." I ordered.

I turned around and pushed the stewardess out of the way.

"Come on. Let's go back to the passengers," I ordered the stewardess.

When we got back, people were moving hastily in their seats. They wanted to get up, but they didn't dare try....

Suddenly, there was a banging noise. I opened the door and there was a lady waiting to use the bathroom.

"Sorry," I told her, and went back to my seat.

As soon as I sat down, the captain's voice came on the air.

"Hello, ladies and gentlemen, looks like we're in for a safe and smooth landing." n