Whatever It Takes | Teen Ink

Whatever It Takes

September 28, 2022
By Anonymous

I never thought the glare of lights could hurt so much. I can barely squint my eyes let alone fully open them. My face hurts like hell. Despite all my experience it still never gets easier. Jesus seriously though, that guy must have sledgehammers for fists. “TWO… THREE… FOUR…” 

Dammit. Get up. Come on. Did someone turn up the gravity or something? F*ck man come on. Ok ok here we go. Don’t stumble. Don’t let him see any kind of weakness. It’ll only motivate him more. Remember the rhythm. Just keep on your toes. Back n Forth. Back n Forth. You got it. Feel the weight of the solid concrete beneath your feet. He may be bigger than you but you have speed. DUCK. Shi- WEAVE LEFT. BACK. He’s open. Body shot. I just gotta sink under his right and he's mine. Right there. What the- My god what is he made of, steel? I swear I felt the bones in my fist crunch against his obliques. The sweat reflecting off his skin makes him look like some sort of angel or something. F*ck what am I still doing down here I have t- Holy sh*t. What’s with this level of force? I can feel every pound of his fist driving into my chest, but I can’t do anything about it. I didn't even know a human being could produce this level of force . He’s going to end up caving my chest in. Is he trying to kill me? Oh f-

-Right hook to the jaw. He got me good. I didn’t even see it coming. Color me impressed. Everything's buzzing. I'm down. I can’t see straight. There's no coming back from that one. Rough landing. You think I would go flying back after a hit like that. But all I can see is the cold gray floor rocketing towards my face. I think the impact broke my nose. I know it did. The blood’s starting to pool around me. I think I'm starting to black out. God why did it have to end this way. All the promises I made. All my senses are black, but I know the crowd is roaring behind me, the refs making the last seconds of the countdown. He’s screaming like some wild f*cking animal even though hes basically untouched. The ring’s ropes stained with nothing but small spatters of my blood. My blood. Not his. Best I could do was a couple body shots and a bloody nose that's already stopped flowing. Dammit dammit dammit dammit. I was gonna be the best wasn’t I! Why can’t I get up? WHY. WHY. WHY. WHY. It’s not fair. I worked just as hard. Na. Harder. I was just as fast. Faster. So why the hell can’t I get up. Get up. Get up. GET UP. FIGHT. I CAN'T LET HIM WIN. I WON'T.

“WHAT'S THIS FOLKS?! LOOKS LIKE OUR UNDERDOG ISN’T DOWN JUST YET!”

DAMN RIGHT.

“ WITH WHAT SEEMS LIKE AN UNPRECEDENTED BURST OF SPEED HE’S ROCKE-”

FIGHT

“ OH MY GOD, A SICKENINGLY POWERFUL UPPERCUT FROM OUR UNDERDOG RIGHT ONTO THE REIGNING CHAMPIONS JAW. WE COULD HEAR THE CRUNCH FROM HERE FOLKS! EVEN THE BIG MAN HIMSELF SEEMS TO BE THROWN OFF BY A STRIKE LIKE THAT!”

I’M NOT GOING DOWN, NOT NOW, NOT EVER.

“WE MIGHT BE WITNESSING HISTORY FOLKS! THE CHAMP IS TRYING HIS BEST TO PUT UP A FIGHT BUT IT'S JUST NOT WORKING. BLOW AFTER BLOW BEING LANDED SEEMINGLY ALL OVER HIS BODY! IT SEEMS OUR UNDERDOG HAS NO REGARD FOR PLACEMENT, HE’S JUST LETTING THEM FLY!”
RHYTHM. LEFT. RIGHT. LEFT. RIGHT. KEEP MY HANDS UP. FASTER. HARDER.

“THIS BEAST IS REFUSING TO GO DOWN. THE CHAMP SEEMS TO BE LANDING MORE AND MORE OF HIS COUNTER-BLOWS BUT THE FLURRY FROM HIS OPPOSITION IS JUST NOT SLOWING DOWN.” 

I'M GOING TO WIN. I HAVE TO WIN. AND NO ONE. IS GOING. TO STop..

“ONLY 12 MORE SECONDS FOLKS TILL THE FINAL ROUND IS OVER. COUNT IT WITH ME. 12!”
He has to go down

“11!”

I’ve worked too hard

“10!”
I’ve sacrificed so much

“9!”

All the dates I’ve skipped

“8!”

Family events I’ve missed

“7!”

Hangouts I’ve refused to go to

“6!”

I don’t care whether its today

“5!”

Tomorrow

“4!”

Or any other f*cking day

“3!”

I’m going to take him down

“2!”

And I’m going to be world champ.Whatever it takes.

“1!”

Whatever it takes.

*DING DING DING*

“AND THAT'S THE BELL FOLKS! And the winner is, keeping his world champion title… AAARRROOONNN  BURRRRNSSSSS!!!! DESPITE THE CONCLUSION I THINK EVERYONE HERE WOULD AGREE THAT THIS IS ONE OF THE GREATEST, NO I THINK THE GREATEST MATCH IN BOXING HISTORY!! AND CONGRA- Whats this?! I've just gotta news that our Underdog Anthony “FireStep” Jackson, despite lasting all 12 rounds, HAS PASSED OUT WHILE STILL ON HIS FEET!!!!!”