Swiss Miss Memories | Teen Ink

Swiss Miss Memories

By 3vierck GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
3vierck GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

I carefully tiptoe down the stairs. Immediately I felt the warmth of the fireplace sending me into a calm happy state. Then I took a deep breath, smiling. What is that smell? As I turn the corner into the living room I see the swirling steam of Swiss Miss coming out of my Scooby Doo mug. I feel my eyes go wide.

My mother sees this and says “I figured you’d want a cup”.

One deep breath and my senses fill with the rich milk chocolate of the Swiss miss. I take my first sip of the hot chocolate and I feel it warm my belly.  As I sit by the fire I start to get curious about the liquid in my mug. So I turn the box around and start to read. It turns out that it was first made in Wisconsin over 45 years ago. 

“Wow that’s crazy”. I meant to say inside my head. 

“What is sweetheart?” 

“Oh, well just the hot chocolate.” “Did you know that they support more than 45 local dairy farms that supply them with farm-fresh milk every day?” 

My mom giggled and smiled. “No I didn’t know that, is there anything else you want to tell me about Swiss Miss?” 

I could feel my heart beating excitedly being able to tell my mom something she didn’t know. “Ooo ok, they started right here in Menomonee, Wisconsin.” “Also it says their hot chocolate was first served on airlines. Wow that means it was like a million feet in the air, that makes it even more special!” 

I could hear my mom laughing out loud now, which made me smile. “I wouldn't say quite that high sweetie, but yes I think that does mean it’s pretty special. Do you want to know something about hot chocolate?”

Of course I said yes. My mom was always teaching me new cool things so I was curious to know what she had in store for me. 

“Well hot chocolate is actually good for your heart, it improves your blood flow.” 

My eyes went wide with surprise and my mouth dropped open. “No way! Okay we are going to need a lot more Swiss Miss.”

“Hmm, and why is that?”

“Because! We are going to drink it every night so we have the strongest hearts ever!” I giggled and started jumping up and down. Then I darted towards the closet to put my coat, hat, mittens, and boots on. 

“What are you doing silly girl?” 

“I’m getting ready to go to the store, duh. Come on, we have to go now!” 

“Ok, give me a minute to get ready,” my mom said smiling. I sat fidgeting by the door watching her put in her coat slowly. Once she was ready I jumped up and held out my hand for her grab. My mom opened the door to the frigid winter air. We walked out of the door holding hands and tramped through the snow to the car. 

I blinked and shook my eyes from what felt like a dream. I had been staring at that box of Swiss Miss for too long, remembering with tears in my eyes. That has got to be one of my favorite memories with my mom. Any time I see a box of Swiss Miss I think of that night. I miss her so much but I hope one day I can give my kids a memory like that. Moments like those with Swiss Miss not only warm your belly but they warm your heart.