Cuckoo | Teen Ink

Cuckoo

February 2, 2023
By Sky_Dea SILVER, Cascade, Iowa
Sky_Dea SILVER, Cascade, Iowa
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I feed my children every day. Other moms tell me that their kids are flying already, their kids have built their own homes, their kids have started to catch their own food. My kids, they are just a little behind. That is okay, I will be there for them as long as they need. Today marks a month and a half after my babies were laid. Rain had just come from clouds, so I decided it was the perfect time to go get them a worm or two.

I flew out of the nest I had made just for my babies and landed on a telephone wire nearby. I could see all the way down to the street. There were worms crushed by cars on the road and driveways. Only desperate birds went after those. I was not a desperate bird. I scanned the grassy area of lawns, where most birds went to find their food. I knew better though. After finding worms for myself for a while, then finding worms for my babies, I knew to go where barely any other bird would. A non-grassy area. That is where the best worms are.

I found my regular spot, finding it surprising that there are still worms there after all the times I hunted. What other birds did not know about the non-grassy areas is that it is so much easier to see food. I do not have to look past long grass; I do not have to differentiate from child toys in a yard and worms. Scanning the dirt only took me a minute to find a worm, perfect for my kids. I grabbed it and flew back to my nest, dropping it off among a few other worms. I needed one more at least, one worm would not feed three kids.

I went back to the dirt, singing a little while waiting for a new worm to pop up into the refreshing rain. I do not like being wet very much, yet I would do anything for my kids. I found yet another worm awaiting its fate, picked it up, and flew back happily. I dropped the worm off for my kids and guarded the door, no one would hurt my babies while I was there. A bird from the neighbor tree came flying over.

Shamus said, “Sydney, you have to face it. Your kids are not the same as other kids. Yours are dead.”

I do not know what became of Shamus. Later that day his nest was destroyed. He was gone. My kids are safe and I am ready to feed them tomorrow.


The author's comments:

Another twisted short story. Hope you enjoy!