Terry-Alas | Teen Ink

Terry-Alas

October 11, 2009
By mari14 SILVER, MI, Florida
mari14 SILVER, MI, Florida
9 articles 0 photos 27 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Love or oxygen, you need both to live and pump your heart." -By Mari


Terry-Alas

“I’m good. Really , I’m fine. There is nothing wrong with me. No, it doesn’t hurt-----living in the dark forever.”



I was born a long time ago. I am always reborn as a different person every twenty years. I have never reached the age 21 or any higher than that. I have lived alone for seven hundred years, with humans for thirty years, and in a coven for ten years. I do not get along with other vampires. In fact, I get along better with humans. Right now, in the present, I am eleven years old. My name is Terry-Alas and I have no last name. At least not one I desire to mention. I am disguised as a civilian in Michigan, and now and then, Wisconsin. I like the North, mostly because of it’s cold weather. Luckily, seven hundred and forty years ago, my birthplace was in North Dakota. However, my most recent birthplace was in Florida. It’s a nice state for beaches and if you like heat. It is also a steady and peaceful place to relax and quiet down in life. Unfortunately, vampires cannot live in such a clamorous area.
I was an orphan either way so I decided to travel or better yet, run all the way from Florida to Wisconsin, to Michigan. I would say my favorite time of the day, is the night. The sun does not appeal me in any way I rather loathe the sunlight. I do not despise the sun because I burn up into ashes when I’m exposed to daylight. No, it’s because there are so many people. Hundreds of people walking everywhere. It is very unpleasant to be strolling and getting bumped by someone. I can vividly remember something similar happened to me almost four hundred years ago…….


I was ambling down the sidewalk to my motel, when I saw a child lost and alone. I walked up to her and asked where her parents were, and she replied, “Where are yours?” I noticed that I was only two years older or so, than her. I lied. “My parents are over at the candy shop. They told me they would be right back. What about yours?” The girl hesitated then responded, “I don’t have any.”
“Oh.” I glimpsed at the girl. She was so little and weak looking. But she didn’t seem the slightest bit upset. I thought for a while and decided to invite her to live with me. “Do you want to come with me?” She smiled and her eyes brightened, “Yes.” I held her hand and as we were going to the candy shop a bunch of people ran toward us. They separated us from each other and I felt as her hand slipped from mine. The little girl screamed and I reached out to her. Then I glanced behind the crowd. There were six or seven men around six feet tall with red t-shirts and black torn jeans. They wore black gloves and shades and each of them grasped a knife inside their fist. Stop distracting yourself. I shook my head and concentrated on getting the child. Suddenly, right before my eyes there they were threatning their knives at me. I wasn’t scared, I didn’t shake or quiver, “Stop pointing those stupid weapons at me and go get a life. If you like taking other peoples’ lives then you must need one urgently.” One of them men slapped me across the face and I was preparing myself to punch him but then I felt a gentle tug on my white winter coat so I gazed down. The little girl had tears streaming from her eyes, “Are you hurt?” I smiled, “I’m ok. Don’t worry.” The men grinned wider, and one of them said to the child, “Is she your sister?” That was a shocking question but I felt that it was true. Once I had seen this beloved creature lost and bewildered I started having a feeling that I needed to protect her. I stepped in front of her and wrapped my arms around her from behind me. “Yes, I am,” I growled. The same man chuckled, “Get the little girl.” I lunged at him and bit his left arm. The other men tackled me and I fell onto the ground. They beated me kicking me in the stomach and punching my face. Such brutal humans. Good, they’re not attacking the little girl. I sighed in relief. She stared and cried out, “You fine? Help? You need help?” She looked very distressed. I panicked seeing her so worried that I instinctively killed one of them men which made the rest wince and have puzzled expressions on their faces. The kid’s blue eyes peered into mine and she said the wisest words I have ever heard in my undead life, “You’re not human are you?” I stared at what seemed a six year old with brown curls and a light pink solid dress. I was surprised but for some strange reason very pleased. I smiled and whispered, “No, I am not.” She stared at me wide-eyed and gasped, “Really?” I laughed, “Yes.” I found myself embracing her in my arms and randomly she vomitted blood. Astonishment fell heavy upon me as if I had boulders on my back. Did I do this? Could I have done this? I have never hugged a human as a vampire before. The child collasped and hit the floor. I knelt down and tears trickled down my cheeks. I glared at the man with the blood on his knife. “GO!!! NOW!!! Before you shall regret ever murdering this child!” He sneered and so did the rest of them. The mockery of them laughing infuriated me so I could bear the supressed anger no longer. I jumped at the man that first laughed, sunk my teeth and fangs into his neck and cracked it in two as easy as a twig. They scattered and ran screaming like toddlers at a daycare. I craddled the little girl in my arms. This is why I do not live with humans for a long time. This probably won’t be the last time that something like this will happen. I always bring misfortune to these fragile creatures. “Sister?” She questioned weakly. I smiled slightly and wiped away my tears and then I brought her closer to me, “Yes?”
“Are you ok? Are you fine? Is there something wrong?” This child was obviously brilliant and intelligent for her age. “Yes, I am. Are you?” She nodded. I looked at her wound and she followed my gaze. “Don’t worry. I’m strong.” “I know,” I answered. “Are you?” I swallowed and didn’t respond. She closed her eyes and told me, “It hurts doesn’t it? Not being human. You’re not-” She grunted and clutched her stomach, where the wound was. She opened her eyes, “You’re not fine are you?” I sighed sadly and closed her eyes with my fingertips and slowly felt her body become lifeless. I held her and said, “ I’m good. Really, I’m fine. There is nothing wrong with me. No, it doesn’t hurt-----living in the dark forever.”


The author's comments:
the night I wrote this it was raining and usually when it rains i get inspired to write a story.