High School Dreams | Teen Ink

High School Dreams

By FantasyAddict BRONZE, Kenton, Ohio
FantasyAddict BRONZE, Kenton, Ohio

All through High School Joe and his friend, Tom talked about what they wanted to do after graduation. Joe wanted to go into the medical field but Tom wanted to get into a police academy. They both agreed with each other.

About a week after graduation, Joe called Tom and asked him to come to his place because there was something he wanted to tell Tom. Tom said ok and he would be right over.

About twenty minutes later, there was a knock at Joe’s door. Joe walks over and lets Tom in.

“Hey Joe.”

“Hey Tom. How you been?”

“I’ve been ok, just studying for the Police Academy.”

“Oh, I hope you make it.”

“Me too. What was it that you wanted to tell me?”

“Well, I’m going off to college for three years. I’m going to study in the Medical Field, I leave tomorrow.”

Tom couldn’t believe Joe was going to be gone for three years. They have known each other since the second grade and never been apart for more than two hours, and now they will be apart for three years.

“Three years? Wow that is a uh..a long time Joe.”

“I know, but I’m really enthusiastic about it. I was hoping you would be happy for me.”

“I am, its just that..well I’m going to miss you.”

“I know, I’m going to miss you too.”

Joe asked Tom if he would like to stay for supper, and Tom agreed.

After supper, Tom said he had to go so he could study some more.

“Tom before you go, I leave at ten in the morning. Maybe you could make it over here before I leave.”

“I sure will. See you in the morning.”

The next morning Joe got up at eight so he could finish his packing. Joe was really excited about college, but was also very nervous. The one thing that Joe couldn’t get his mind off was that he wasn’t going to see Tom for three years. Joe couldn’t stop thinking about it, but kept on with his packing.

Nine-thirty rolled around and Tom still never showed up.

“Where is he mom?”

“I don’t know. I’m sure he will show up.”

“I hope so.” said Joe with a concerned look.

It was just two minutes before Joe had to leave and Tom still never showed up.

“Well, I better get going. If Tom shows up tell him I said bye and that I will see him around.” said Joe with a sad look.

“I will sweetie.”

Twenty minutes later Tom shows up.

“Joe! I made it.”

Joe’s mother heard Tom from the kitchen and stopped what she was doing and went into the living room to confront Tom.

“He already left. He left about twenty minutes ago.” replied Joe’s mother.

“Oh.”

“He wanted me to tell you that he will see you around.”

Tom’s voice faded as he turned around and walked away with his head down.

As Joe was away, Tom quit studying for the Police Academy. It was just too hard to focus without Joe. Tom always counted the days until Joe returned home.

One day Tom gets a phone call from Joe’s mother.

“Hello.”

“Tom?”

“Yes?”

“This is Joe’s mother. Will you come to the City Park please? I need some help.”

“Yes, of course. I’ll be right over.

“Thank you.”

“No problem at all.”

They both hung up and Tom started heading to the City Park. It was early spring so Tom new the Park would look very beautiful. When Tom arrived, he didn’t see Joe’s mother anywhere. He waited for about half an hour, but she never showed. Tom was about to leave when he heard a familiar voice.

“Tom?”

Tom looked behind him to see his best friend’s face. Tom’s face lit up like a Christmas tree.

“Joe! Your back!” yelled Tom.

“Yep.”

“How was college? Were the professors nice? Was the campus big?”

“Tom slow down. How about I tell you all about it at my house? My mom is cooking a welcome home dinner.”

“You got it.” replied Tom with a smile.

The two best friends left the Park talking up a storm.