The Moon Speaks | Teen Ink

The Moon Speaks

By fall_from_grace SILVER, Lakeside, Arizona
fall_from_grace SILVER, Lakeside, Arizona

"Most people are other people. Their thoughts someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
-Oscar Wilde
(yes, I do note the irony in quoting this)

Such joy! I had never felt such a thing. “I” had never felt anything. There had been something before, but it was not Me. It was chaotic and brilliant and indistinct. But this was different, utterly liberating. I hurtled from what had been and, although I couldn’t understand at the time, came upon a sense of self that had been previously unimaginable, if imaginable is an appropriate word for a state without imagining. During that flight I reveled in my aloneness. For the a moment, I was free.

Then I slowed. My path curved, and I felt for the first time the endless loop that is my infinity. My endless universe. My distant future and recent past. I felt the earths draw and the realization of being ripped from warmth struck me with a force that no astroid could rival. I was ALONE! Earth pulled and, with everything I had, I pulled back. Using every ounce of the desperation that filled me I clawed at empty space, trying to reach sanctuary.

That was long ago, too long to quantify. Earth has changed. Life appeared. It happened so slowly that at first I didn’t even notice. Then the color of Earths dry patches began to turn green and after a time I understood. Earth had been gifted with life for its surface and its seas. While I was held in limbo Earth was growing in a way that I would never know. The jealously I felt then was like nothing I have sense experienced. It’s poison flooded me, tainting my longing. Now I wanted the tether that bound my orbit to snap, flinging me into darkness. My empty craters should not be exposed to the sight of what could have been!

Humans have now colinated Earth. I see their lights shine like the stars. Not many years ago humans came to me. They were strange looking things; all white with shiny balls sitting a top a body with four white appendages. I found them bizarre, almost grotesque. Why they alone should not be spherical is beyond my comprehension.

I have had countless years to reflect on the countless years yet to come, and have realized that time will bring change to all things. My once smooth surface is now pockmarked. Stars come and go. Even my orbit which, by its nature seems endless, will someday cease. I will be drawn back to my original home, or thrust into the universe. With that my existence will again be altered as completely as it once was. My preconceptions will be demolished and my world turned inside out. In a perverse way, I’m quite looking forward to it.