Creature from the Field | Teen Ink

Creature from the Field MAG

By Anonymous

I waved good-bye to my dad as he drove away, slowly disappearing into the dark fog. I turned and headed toward the school. The only other person there at this hour was a custodian, who was kind enough to let me into the school. It was so early that none of my classmates had yet arrived. Since we were going on a trip, I hadn’t bothered to bring any books. I never expected to be here this early, but then again I didn’t know my father would have to go to work for an emergency.
There was nothing else to do, so I headed toward the small cafeteria. I put my jacket down on a chair and walked over to the window. As I looked to my left, I saw a little golden ray appear as the sun began to break through the dark cold fog. As I slowly turned my head and looked to the right, it began to shed light on the green fields that were blanketed with geese in the distance. Even from where I was standing, I could see dew glistening off the vacant track at my right, next to the field. When I turned completely to the right, I could see the bare trees swaying a little in the wind. A tree limb was left shaking, as a squirrel leapt from it. When I surveyed the scene again something caught my eye. It was straight ahead of me but very far away.
Suddenly, I had an uneasy feeling in the pit of my stomach. Something was emerging from deep in the woods behind the fields. I couldn’t quite make out what it was. It was extremely large and darkly colored. It didn’t move at an even pace. It appeared to limp and stagger as it made its way closer to the field, closer to me. Even though it was still far away, I began to feel a little panicky. What was I to do if it came near me? What was this odd shaped thing? The closer it got the faster my heart beat. It was now in the field, geese fleeing furiously from the unidentified creature. It came closer and closer. Whatever it was, it was huge and headed in my direction. Finally it was close enough; I could see the beast. It was horrible. It was terribly ugly, with a long drooling fangs, razor sharp claws, green skin, and yellow eyes. I couldn’t move. I had actually seen it, IT WAS ...
“Oh, there you are. We were starting to worry about you." Startled, I jumped up and suddenly realized I was sitting at a table. “I must have fallen asleep," I said with a yawn. It was so vivid, I thought it was real, I said to myself. “We have to go, the buses are ready to leave," a friend called out. I grabbed my jacket and walked over to the window. Something inside me told me to look one last time. Everything looked exactly the same as in my dream, then far off in the distance, I saw something behind the fields. Something was coming ...