Creature from the Field | Teen Ink

Creature from the Field MAG

I waved good-bye to my dad as he drove away, slowly disappearing into the dark fog. I turned and headed toward the school. The only other person there at this hour was a custodian, who was kind enough to let me into the school. It was so early that none of my classmates had yet arrived. Since we were going on a trip, I hadn’t bothered to bring any books. I never expected to be here this early, but then again I didn’t know my father would have to go to work for an emergency.
There was nothing else to do, so I headed toward the small cafeteria. I put my jacket down on a chair and walked over to the window. As I looked to my left, I saw a little golden ray appear as the sun began to break through the dark cold fog. As I slowly turned my head and looked to the right, it began to shed light on the green fields that were blanketed with geese in the distance. Even from where I was standing, I could see dew glistening off the vacant track at my right, next to the field. When I turned completely to the right, I could see the bare trees swaying a little in the wind. A tree limb was left shaking, as a squirrel leapt from it. When I surveyed the scene again something caught my eye. It was straight ahead of me but very far away.
Suddenly, I had an uneasy feeling in the pit of my stomach. Something was emerging from deep in the woods behind the fields. I couldn’t quite make out what it was. It was extremely large and darkly colored. It didn’t move at an even pace. It appeared to limp and stagger as it made its way closer to the field, closer to me. Even though it was still far away, I began to feel a little panicky. What was I to do if it came near me? What was this odd shaped thing? The closer it got the faster my heart beat. It was now in the field, geese fleeing furiously from the unidentified creature. It came closer and closer. Whatever it was, it was huge and headed in my direction. Finally it was close enough; I could see the beast. It was horrible. It was terribly ugly, with a long drooling fangs, razor sharp claws, green skin, and yellow eyes. I couldn’t move. I had actually seen it, IT WAS ...
“Oh, there you are. We were starting to worry about you." Startled, I jumped up and suddenly realized I was sitting at a table. “I must have fallen asleep," I said with a yawn. It was so vivid, I thought it was real, I said to myself. “We have to go, the buses are ready to leave," a friend called out. I grabbed my jacket and walked over to the window. Something inside me told me to look one last time. Everything looked exactly the same as in my dream, then far off in the distance, I saw something behind the fields. Something was coming ...

deleteddeletedFoff, Columbus, Ohio
agreed... but that one word describes this perfectly:) spot on job

Erin32 said...
FINISH IT! You gotta finish. I am so scared right now, great.

HaleyHottie said...
entertainment is one word. Just sayin`

HaleyHottie said...
Wow. It was alright, you should have had a better ending. I HATE mysterious endings. They make me wonder, i dont like to wonder. (:

PoetLaureate07 PLATINUM, Aberdeen, Mississippi

To love is to risk not being loved in return. To hope is to risk pain. To try is to risk failure, but the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing..

I agree... it would have been nice to know what it was.... werewolf, vamp, anything mystical.... keep writing.. is there goin to be a sequel??

Amour3 BRONZE said...
Amour3 BRONZE, Cypress, Texas

"Never give up."

Very decriptive! I would have liked to know what the creature was, though. :)

monongah#21 said...
i loved this book i can just picture everything your talking about. i love the wat you have writen this.

daisydee123 SILVER, Gotham City, Illinois
I REALLY LIKE THIS! ITS LIKE SHES SYCIC or some thing! thanks for the entertain ment! comment and check my work?

Chrissy_L GOLD said...
Chrissy_L GOLD, Ramsey, New Jersey

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.

That's very creative.

yourworstnightmare BRONZE, Sioux Falls, South Dakota

The best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing. (Teddy Roosevelt)

Yeah, mee tooo. what was the creture? i could picture the fangs, the drool, the sunrays. everything was so amazingly written. nice job!

~melinda~

Koolaid said...
I really liked this story. I want to know what the creature is, though.