Just Friends | Teen Ink

Just Friends MAG

Final class of the day; I’m almost done. I’ve managed to avoid him for the majority of the day, somehow escaping his attempts at conversation. Always somewhere to go, something to do. Sorry, no time to chat. If I can just stay out of sight for the next fifteen minutes, I’ll be home free.

Rushing into the crowded hall, I push through the swarm of buzzing students. I fight against the flow of bodies, the warm crush that threatens to overwhelm me. Desperate, I keep shoving, longing to reach the safety and quiet of my locker. I’m almost there, just a bit further. Finally I’ve made it, and he’s nowhere in sight.

I open my locker and lean into it, sighing with relief, when I see him. I straighten up, hurriedly shoving everything into that tiny metal box, but my hands aren’t cooperating. My nerves are making me shake, disconnecting my mind from the rest of my body. I struggle to remove myself from the impending situation, but as I start to spring away, he grabs my arm and says, “Now can I talk to you?”

And that’s when my heart sinks. My stomach starts to churn and I know nothing will be the same again.

Somehow I always knew it would come down to this moment. A silent showdown in some empty hallway, the echo of slamming lockers long since faded, but the shouts of students still lingering in the air. He stares at me, expectantly, awaiting an answer. I look at my feet, purposely not listening, not looking at him. I don’t want to hear it, don’t want to see him proclaim his love. It makes no difference; it doesn’t change the situation.

I’ve known him since first grade. I’ve seen him pick his nose and suck at kickball; I watched him grow six inches like a beanstalk and, with all the grace of a newborn calf, give himself a concussion on a shower head. We’ve been friends for what seems like always, but never ventured anywhere beyond that. To be honest, it never occurred to me that he could someday be more than a friend.

“Did you hear me? I said I like you. I like you a lot.”

Don’t say that. Anything but that. Talk to me about the weather, how horrible Mrs. Matthews is with her evil calculus equations. Even sports would be better, (and you know how much I hate sports). Just don’t say those words. Why would you say something that could irreversibly change our friendship?

“I’ve liked you for so long. Didn’t you know?”
Yes, of course I knew. I’m not stupid. I was – I don’t know – I guess I was hoping it was just a crush. Something fleeting, a passing fancy. Puppy love, if you must, but apparently not.

“Say something, anything.”

You don’t mean that, not really. I know what you’re hoping to hear, what you want me to say. I can’t and I won’t. I look at you and I see a brother, a friend, not a boyfriend. I don’t think anything could ever change that in my mind.

Everyone knew we’d end up here. That’s the rub. The whole freaking world probably knew that sooner or later we would clash at opposite ends of the spectrum. My parents, my friends. Hell, even your parents and friends knew it. They told me it was cruel to lead you on, but I never meant to. I never meant for it to go this far; it just never seemed like the right time to say, “Hey, we’ll always be best friends.” I never, ever wanted to hurt you; I just didn’t want to let you go.

I’ve deluded myself for years, lived in denial for so many summers, and now it’s senior year and you’ve finally found the courage to tell me how you feel. I’d love to blame you for this awkwardness, accuse you of letting this non-relationship charade drag on over the years. But truthfully, it’s my fault that we’ve reached this point, and I have to make things right.
I take a deep breath. This is it.

“Yeah. Me too.”

Hannahgee6 BRONZE, Greensburg, Kentucky

therefore do not worry about tomorrow. for tomorrow will worry about itself. each day has enough trouble of its own.
-jesus

thank you. haha. i will actually take this advice. :)

Coop123 BRONZE said...
Coop123 BRONZE, Mt. Airy, Maryland

Deja vu'! This is the part where I tell you to SHUT UP!!!

This Peice is so amazing!

GodsStudent BRONZE, Abc, Other

Ahh, yes, I have advice :)

If you your age is:

11-14: Don't date him or anything like that until you are atleast 15 or 16

If you are 15-16: Don't go out with him until you are atleast 18 if you really REALLY like him

and if you're older pretty much just add like 2 years before you go out with him LOL

Good luck and be smart ^_^

datrumpeter PLATINUM, Jefferson City, Missouri

'Before you insult someone, walk a mile in their shoes. that way, when you insult them, you'll be a mile away from them and you'll have their shoes.'

i love the way u wrote this. its amazing. i kinda had a similiar problem. i went out with my best guy friend, but we broke up and he hates  me now and is spreading all kinds of rumors about me...

madasrabbits PLATINUM, Dalton-in-Furness, Other

"Just keep swimming!"- Dory, Finding Nemo

Is this how he felt when I asked him? :/ I feel bad... :(

Hannahgee6 BRONZE, Greensburg, Kentucky

-jesus

wow. this is a great story. i actually kinda hav the same problem. i am going out with my best guy friend. i have known him since first grade. and like that story, i know a lot about him. but see...i dont know if i still like him. its just it feels weird. i know to much about him and he knows to much bout me.....so anyone got any advice???

Alice_in_Wonderland GOLD, San Clemente, California

“I could give up, I could stay stuck, or I could move on, So I put one foot front of the other, No no no nothing’s gonna break my stride, “ –David Archuleta (The Other Side of Down)

I loved that... it was beautiful. Great job.

nomorox said...
nomorox, West Kensington, Other

What doesn't break you makes you stronger.

i loved my best friend boy, and now we don't talk.

Nora.Whatever BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
I love the way to lead up to things by giving us little bits of info and then making the big picture. It made me want to keep reading. Wonderful story (:

niesh13 SILVER said...
niesh13 SILVER, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Love Me, Hate Me. I Really Don't Care .
Truth Is...Life Goes On , With or Without You

I Like Thiss... Bt Doess She Mean It.?

LoveSickenedRebel GOLD, Lubbock, Texas

"Why does everyone think I need a man? Look if you find a guy who is decent, good with kids and has respect for women, call me." "It is better to have loved, than to have never loved at all."

i love this story but did she really mean to say that to keep him or does she now feel the same way?

sweet_silent_surenity GOLD, Puyallup, Washington

"The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved- loved for ourselves or rather, loved in spite of ourselves." -Victor Hugo-

I pose the same question as MercedesXO. Was she saying that just to keep him, or did she really mean it?

weebnini DIAMOND, San Diego, California

"Done & Over"

"Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength."

"People should be able to say how they feel. How they really feel. Not, you know, some words that some strangers put in their mouth."

beautifully written:) i <3 it!!

MercedesXO DIAMOND, South Easton, Massachusetts

"I realize that life is risks. It's acknowledging the past but looking forward. It's taking chances that we will make mistakes but believeing we all deserve to be forgiven."
-The Dead Tossed Waves.

i love this. like loveee lovee this. and im wondering if it's a true story or sumthing you created? either way it's amazing. but i was kinda confused at the endd..when the girl said "Yeah. Me too." like, did she realize that she loved him back and was ready to face the truth? or did she just not want to hurt him and go along with it?

WritingLoverForever PLATINUM, Bowling Green, Ohio

It's not about success; it's about significance.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

I really like this. It's very interesting and can easily keep the reader's attention. Nice job, and check out some of my work too, please. :)

writerinfinity PLATINUM, Arlington, Texas
good job, it shows what you'll do to avoid hurting a bestfriend, you'll lie if it helps your best friend and makes them fell good, i've made the stupid mistake of not doing that and i think i regret it.

elle_la_vie BRONZE, Cresskill, New Jersey

the man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. :)

really good, different. it sounds like they really don't like him but in the end .....

courteycat said...
courteycat, Lompoc, California

interesting...

I love it its very well-written. Continue writing:D

one_of_a_kind_girl GOLD, N/A, California
tell him exactly how you feel. dont try to convince yourself otherwise, just to be a people pleaser. do whats best for you..if you dont want to think of each other as anything more, then don't try to persuade yourself to, because that will ruin it in the end. Who knows? maybe one day you will decide you are totally head over heels for this guy, and if the situation does come up, you'll know exactly what to say. I had a guyfriend who was the most amazing guy ive ever known, and i knew he liked me, and i would like him occassionally, but only for a fleeting moment, realizing that we werent meant to be anything more- i couldnt see him as boyfriend material, and i feared that if we tried, i would lose him forever, and i couldnt risk our friendship. however, as much as i tried to hide it, even from myself, soon, i couldnt deny that i was crazy about him, and eventually, when the time came, and it was brought up, i told him i liked him too, and now weve been going out for eight months (and counting :D) and he is my best friend, even more so than before, which i didnt even think was possible, and he is still the most amazing guy ive ever met..even more so than before. so all im saying is, go with how you feel, and hey you never know if one day you'll decide that maybe you do like him, but if not, then dont pressure yourself into it, because it sounds like what you two have right now, just friends, is great. just be honest. dont make things awkward, you wouldnt want to lose what you have. with my guy, i thought that us dating would ruin our friendship, but it only made it stronger.

skribbelz13 SILVER, Basking Ridge, New Jersey

"I reject your reality and insert my own."

I absolutely love this! The inner thoughts in between the conversation, the detail, the emotions, it's all so tangible!! FABULOUS!