A Day in the Life of Bubble Gum | Teen Ink

A Day in the Life of Bubble Gum

By xcrayolaxstormx SILVER, Coventry, Rhode Island
xcrayolaxstormx SILVER, Coventry, Rhode Island

"Don't worry about it." -V.Z.

There I sat, in complete darkness. I didn’t know how long I had been sitting there. Minutes? Hours? Days? I only sat there, upright, with the others, waiting to be chosen. Finally, after what seemed like a lifetime, I felt myself being lifted and tossed into a bag. I could hear the murmur of voices as I was carried out the door. The cool air of a fall day came to me gradually, blocked by layers of paper, cardboard, and plastic. I was being lifted again, and the crinkle of a wrapper filled the box we were enclosed in. The rest happened in slow motion: the fingers touching the flap, the package slowly opening, the sudden brightness that surrounded my comrades and me. We were almost squirming with anticipation, awaiting the moment one of us was selected. I felt light pressure on my sides, and I was slid out of the package, breathless. I had been chosen! I had only heard of what had happened to the chosen ones. We were all chosen eventually, but the first picked was considered the bravest. No one had returned to tell the story of what happens beyond the wrapper. Slowly, the silver paper I had been clothed in was extracted from my green body. Squished between two fingers, I stared up at a young girl’s face. She raised her hand to her open mouth, and I was, once again, shrouded in darkness. For a split second, I thought, this isn’t so bad. The split second after that, however, I was attacked from all directions. I was smashed between two things, the darkness so thick that I couldn’t make out what they were. I was chomped and chewed and stretched over and over again, distorting my once rectangular shape. Pain surged through me in an endless cycle of munching and masticating. Every now and then a hint of brightness would shine through the girl’s parted lips. Only then would I see the light glinting off the vicious white things, and a flash of silver would occasionally reveal itself from the front of the girl’s mouth. Eventually, the pain became distant, simply a numb aching, and I got used to it. In fact, I liked being pulled around like that. It would stretch me as far as I would go, and it would almost feel nice. Then, suddenly, the girl did something different. I was being pulled over the pink blob sitting at the bottom of her mouth, and she put it against the inside of her lips. A burst of air came from her throat, and I was growing, growing, growing… until I had expanded to a large green bubble. The view was amazing: a panoramic scene of kids, sitting at tables. They were staring at a white rectangle with red and black markings on it. I was just looking at the lady in the front of the room, when my vision exploded- literally. A popping sound filled the air and I was pulled back into the girl’s mouth. That was intriguing. I hope she does that again, I thought. I heard a muffled voice, which I guessed was coming from someone nearby. A moment later, I was falling, without warning, into a black bin. I lay there, misshapen, among what I guessed was other trash. A tissue, a crumpled piece of paper, a broken pencil, and what looked like a fake fingernail sat beside me. There I laid for what, again, seemed like a lifetime, covered in recent waste thrown on top of me. Hands appeared above me and tied the trash bag together. So there I sat, once again, in complete darkness.

My English teacher gave me this prompt, so I thought I'd share it with you. It's my first piece on this site. Hope you like it :)

"Don't worry about it." -V.Z.

Thank you :) Glad you liked it.

IamtheshyStargirl PLATINUM, Lothlorien, Utah

Boredom instigates extreme creativity.
~Amoniel

"Bowing gratefully to all of my subjects, 'thank you. Thank you. The pleasure is mine." Nah, I'm just kidding. We're all kings together.'"
~Thesilentraven

This is amazing, so very differnent, it shows great insight.

"Don't worry about it." -V.Z.

Thanks :) I'm glad you liked it.

MacnCheezz BRONZE, The Colony, Texas

Phillipians 4:13

~Anonymous
"People who hate reading scare me. Good books have kept me alive..."

wow..i don't want to chew gum anytime soon..that was amazing.

"Don't worry about it." -V.Z.

Indeed ^.^

_Mags_ SILVER said...
_Mags_ SILVER, Somewhere, North Carolina

- I stare danger in the face and giggle
- Never argue with an idiot, people might not know the difference
-R.A.P (Retards Attempting Poetry)
-Tip Cologne ryhmes with alone

can you check out some of my stuff?

"Don't worry about it." -V.Z.

Thanks :) I'm glad you liked it.

_Mags_ SILVER said...

- I stare danger in the face and giggle
-R.A.P (Retards Attempting Poetry)
-Tip Cologne ryhmes with alone

loved it 5/5, though i'm not going to chew gum for a while. I've never red anything like it. p.s. i love the title.

"Don't worry about it." -V.Z.

Haha :D Thanks for the feedback. :)

deka9 said...
Honestly, from reading the title, I thought you were going to write a story about some adventure of a girl/boy trapped in a big bubble gum bubble! Hahaha, my bad. Anyways, this perspective is very refreshing, and I really like it. The gum's emotions and knowledge about the world is awesome. Keep up the good work!

"Don't worry about it." -V.Z.

Hi Dylan! LOL.

"Don't worry about it." -V.Z.

Thanks :) More is on its way... hopefully.

Megan96 GOLD said...
Megan96 GOLD, Tooele, Utah

This is my Timey Wimey detector! It goes ding when there's stuff.

Hey!! I loved your article!! It has a great perspective. Keep writing-- you're really, really good!!

"Don't worry about it." -V.Z.

Amazung!!!!!! first comment! well, i am your best friend.  great job, really discriptive.... (hi steven!)