The light | Teen Ink

The light

May 27, 2010
By Andrea Witte SILVER, Anchorage, Alaska
Andrea Witte SILVER, Anchorage, Alaska
7 articles 2 photos 19 comments

Pain struck through my entire body. I could hear screams, cries, of people around me. What was going on? I was scared, I could not see no matter how hard I tried, then through the suffering I felt, through the screams I heard, I saw a light, happiness washed over me, through me, and around me. I could feel the light, as if the hands of god were cradling me, bringing me to heaven. I did not try to fight the light, I let myself go. I was my soul now, no body just me, my true self I was moving with the light. As I let go I heard one last cry “Don’t give up! I know your stronger than that! Please don’t give up!” Sadness and pain flooded through me, it was agonizing, this person truly loved me, I could tell from hearing their words. Though how much I wanted to stay on earth I knew it was my time to go, my life was over the light would care for me now, no more sadness, hunger, or pain. I let go and gave myself to the light, to god. I heard music, as I remembered my life, the first time I lost a tooth, learning to ride my bike, through the sad times, and happy, the most I remembered was the cancer, the pain I felt, and the pain my family felt. I remember the day I met Travis I remember how he sat with me through chemotherapy through all of it Travis was there and now I was gone he can heal and he will find another best friend, fall in love, and have children. If I could I would have smiled, remembering my life, it was like the most beautiful of songs, a composition, my composition. I felt the light cradle me and happiness swallowed me, I felt my soul move with the light, I felt the light bring me up, inside my soul I smiled I did not dare look back on earth I looked ahead I could see the beautiful song, my song, and the light carried me further up to heaven.


The author's comments:
This piece I wrote on an airplane ride I thought of it amazingly fast I hope you enjoy.